Subject: TeXhax Digest V96 #2

From: Majordomo list server <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 15:54:48 +0000

TeXhax Digest            Wednesday, 17 January 1996     Volume 96 : Number 002

(incorporating UKTeX Digest)

Today's Topics:

    TeX/LaTeX on Windows
    Re: LaTeX2e
    latex2e IEEEtran macro wanted.
    EmTeX printing to Canon BJ200ex printer
    gtex installation help
    TUGboat 16 #3 is being mailed
    New problems from a newcomer...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: "Sam Nelson (CO)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 10:27:33 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: TeX/LaTeX on Windows

Not being a beginner, this is going to sound a bit weird, I suppose, but
despite having used TeX and LaTeX around here for more than a decade, I've
never been asked (very much) to put them up on PC platforms, which are in
little use in this department.  However, I've just been asked about running
LaTeX on a Windows platform, and it occurs to me that I know nothing whatever
about this.

Starting from scratch then, in an early-1996 Windows environment, where should
one go to get the ideal TeX/LaTeX setup?  I assume there are `commercial'
solutions (we use Textures on Macintosh already) but I don't know how much
money might be available, so a price spectrum from zero to lottery-winner is
appropriate, I think.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Sam.
- --
Sam Nelson, Comp Sci, Stirling U, FK9 4LA, Scotland        ,->0->M
Email: [email-masked]      Pager: 0839 456640      I->3-+->2->R=->-+->4->O
Tel:   +44 1786 467443    Fax: +44 1786 464551             `->1->S=->-'
URL:   http://www.cs.stir.ac.uk/~sam                 R$+@$+  $@smtp$#$2$:$1@$2

------------------------------

From: David Carlisle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 96 17:33:17 GMT
Subject: Re: LaTeX2e

> I currently possess just LaTeX,
> ...
> However, I notice that LaTeX2e is mentioned a great deal. What are
> the  advantages, if any, of switching to this? 

I think this question is the result of a misunderstanding. LaTeX2e is
not an `alternative to LaTeX' but rather is just the current version
of LaTeX. The previous version (2.09) is now obsolete.

Specifically if you should decide to re-install a complete emtex on
your PC (This is probably a good idea anyway, as emtex was
significantly re-organised and improved earlier this year) then the
LaTeX version that you will get by default will be LaTeX2e.

emtex (including LaTeX, and suitable previewers etc) is available from
ctan sites such as ftp.tex.ac.uk in tex-archive/systems/msdos/emtex.
You can make a basic installation by following QUICK.ENG (quick
English instructions) to be found in that directory.

David

------------------------------

From: "Dr. Ke Chen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 17:11:18 +0800 (GMT+0800)
Subject: latex2e IEEEtran macro wanted.

I found the previous IEEEtran.sty did not work in LaTex2e. Some days ago,
a person sent me his own new IEEEtran.sty but there are a few problems
such as that the title of section is always typeset with a small font,
etc. As a result, I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me where
a complete IEEEtran macro in latex2e is available.

Ke Chen

#========================================================================#
# Dr. Ke Chen, Associate Professor         Tel:   +86-10-2751935(O)      #
# National Lab of Machine Perception              +86-10-2585703(H)      #
# The Center of Information Science        Fax:   +86-10-2563883,2552779 #
# Peking University                        Email: [email-masked]    #
# Beijing 100871, China                           [email-masked]      #
#========================================================================#

------------------------------

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 20:51:00 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: EmTeX printing to Canon BJ200ex printer

I am absolutely a beginner as you can tell.
I have successfully installed emTex onto my PC and now is the Printer.
(use under DOS)

I have a Canon BJ200ex printer.

Q1. When the time I use the commands:
1) latex2e sample2e     OKAY     (where sample2e is the file name)
2) v @bj samples2e      OKAY
3) prtbj10e samples2e   ===>  6 blank pages
4) prtbj300 sample2e 	==>  6 blank pages
5) prtp6h samples2e	===> there are some pages print out, which is the
			     original BUT for each line of the orginal 
			     document, it comes out twice and into four
			     separate parts.

By the way, p6h is not the printer I am using, but every time I used the
print command, a file for the p6h fonts created under the font directory.

Do you know what is it about?
And what should I do now?
What command should I use?

Thanks
                                     __\/__
                                 .  / ^  _ \  .
                                 |\| (o)(o) |/|
                #---------------.OOOo--oo--oOOO.--------------#
                #            Trevor Jonathan  Yuen            #
                #            Mathematics Institute            #
                #            University of Warwick            #
                #            Phone: (0973) 345 457            # 
                #_________________________Oooo._______________#
                                  .oooO   (   )
                                  (   )    ) /
                                   \ (    (_/
                                    \_)

------------------------------

From: Joao Luis Cardoso Soares <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 09:59:41 -0500 (EST)
Subject: gtex installation help

I've installed gtex 2.2 (by Young U. Ryu) on a Pentium machine running 
windows 95, but I keep getting two error messages which might be related:
1) After running \tex\set-tex.bat I get 
      Sharing violation - c:\tex\set-tex.bat
2) When trying to open a DVI file whose fonts are to be created, I get
      Cannot find the file ".
      Make sure that the file exists on your system and that the path
      and filename are correct.

Does anyone have a suggestion, or at least let me know the email address of 
the author. Many thanks, Joao
- --
Joao Luis Cardoso Soares     E-mail: [email-masked]
Columbia University          Tel   : (212) 749-6222 (Home)
804 Uris Hall                Fax   : (212) 864-4857 (PhD student)
New York, NY 10027           http://www.cc.columbia.edu/~jls55/ 

------------------------------

From: bbeeton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 17:44:10 -0500 (EST)
Subject: TUGboat 16 #3 is being mailed

i'm pleased to announce that tugboat 16#3 will be mailed from the
printer tomorrow.  the table of contents for this issue is attached.

tugboat 16#4 will be sent to the printer within the next few days.
the schedule calls for mailing three weeks after the printer receives
the copy.

the next issue, 17#1, will be dated march 1996 and should be delivered
to the printer within that month.  thanks to all the members of the
production team who have made very great efforts to get this back on
schedule.
						-- barbara beeton

			--------------------

                   TUGboat

                   Volume 16, Number 3 / September 1995
                   ================================

Contents   (128 pages)

Robin Fairbairns
   Production notes                                             222

Opening Address
   Michel Goossens
       President's words                                        223

Fonts
   Jiri Zlatuska                                                227
      When MF does it alone
   Richard J. Kinch
      MetaFog: converting MF shapes to contours                 233
   Alan Hoenig
      The Poetica family: fancy fonts with TeX and LaTeX        244
   Michel Goossens
      Using Adobe Type 1 Multiple Master fonts with TeX         253
   Jeremy Gibbons
      Dotted and dashed lines in MF                             259
   Sergey Lesenko
      Printing TeX documents with partial Type 1 fonts          265

LaTeX
   Matthew Swift
      Modularity in LaTeX                                       269
   Dennis Kletzing
      A multienumerate package                                  276

Hyphenation
   Petr Sojka and Pavel Sevecek
      Hyphenation in TeX --- Quo Vadis?                         280
   Petr Sojka
      Notes on compound word hyphenation in TeX                 290

Literate programming
   Wlodek Bzyl
      Literate Plain source is available!                       297
   Bart Childs, Deborah Dunn and William Lively
      Teaching CS/1 courses in a literate manner                300

Methods
   T.V. Raman
      An audio view of (La)TeX documents --- part II            310
   Sebastian Rahtz
      Another look at LaTeX to SGML conversion                  315
   Robin Fairbairns
      Omega --- Why bother with Unicode?                        325
   Gabriel Valiente Feruglio
      Modern Catalan typographical conventions                  329

News & Announcements
    TUG'96 Announcement                                         339
    Calendar                                                    340

TUG Business
    TUG'95 --- List of Attendees                                341
    Institutional members                                       344

Advertisements
   TeX consulting and production services                       345

%% END OF FILE

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (gabriele migliorini)
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 96 13:12:34 +0100
Subject: New problems from a newcomer...

Dear readers,
	at the very beginning, I have to thank all of you for reading
my previous post, an trying to give me sensible replies. To summarize,
the best answer to the bold greek letters is to simply get and run
amsbsy, that's part of the amslatex distribution. It gives two new
commands: a \boldsymbol that embolden a char in a font having a
correspondent bold-face, and a 'ppor men's bold', that overstrikes a
normal font, emboldening it even if there is not a bold typeface for
printing it. As I got asmlatex, I got many new useful functions, like
an extendable arrow symbol for writing limits, and a couple of new
strange (?bugs?): in the manual, I read that there are a couple of
operator redefining commands, that should make a log-like operator,
with eventual _{text} printed at bottom right of the operator, and a
lim like one, with text printed under the operator. But, in my printed
version, they look exactly the same, and therefore, something is not
doing it job. Furthermore, when I latexed the testmath.tex document, I
got some \i command undefined in math mode, about lines containing a
\begin or a \end... Are those signs of an incompatible behavior of

a) the latex release of december'95 and amslatex
b) TeX 3.1415 and the other programs
c) the test documents, and amslatex (sure enough, I'm joking here!)

Now, I'm crying for help another time: You know, I was writing down
some lecture notes for a course I attended In march, and I started
using latex after a disaster with the copy of word on the computer I
used: the equation editor suddenly decided not to run anymore. Now, I
have half of my work in Latex, and another half in Word 6 format. Is
there anybody who does know how to convert the latter? I read, in the
documentation about programs on ctan, that such a program cannot be
public domain... But does there exist a commercial program doing the
job? If it does exist, does some of you own a copy of it, and can be
so nice to let me send him my document, and convert it for me?

I'll be, as usual, grateful 'till the end of my life to anybody
helping me. Sincerely,

l.

------------------------------

End of TeXhax Digest V96 #2
***************************

About TeXhax...

Please send contributions to: [email-masked]

Subscription and unsubscription requests:
    send a one line mail message to [email-masked]
    containing either               subscribe texhax
    or                              unsubscribe texhax
If you have problems with un/subscribing, please mail [email-masked]

To obtain the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) lists for TeX, send a
message with no subject to [email-masked], consisting of
SENDME FAQ

For information on the TeX Users Group, please send a message to
[email-masked], or write TeX Users Group, 1850 Union Street, #1637
San Francisco CA 94123  (phone: 1 415 982 8449, fax:   1 415 982 8559)

Backnumbers of all the digests are stored in the Comprehensive TeX
Archive Network (CTAN) and can be retrieved on the Internet by
anonymous ftp.  The hosts comprising CTAN include, among others,
    ftp.dante.de (129.69.1.12)   -- Germany
    ftp.shsu.edu (192.92.115.10) -- USA
    ftp.tex.ac.uk (128.232.1.87) -- UK
Please use your nearest server, to keep network load down.
The file /tex-archive/CTAN.sites on each of these hosts gives a
list of other sites which maintain full or partial mirrors of the CTAN.
Alternatively, finger [email-masked] for full details.

TeXhax Digest back issues are filed below /tex-archive/digests/texhax/
Keyword-In-Context indexes are filed in /tex-archive/digests/indexes/

A Hypermail version of TeXhax is also available on the World-Wide Web at URL
http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/digests/hyper/

\bye