Subject: TeXhax Digest V96 #6

From: Majordomo list server <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 13:24:21 +0100

TeXhax Digest              Wednesday, 29 May 1996       Volume 96 : Number 006

(incorporating UKTeX Digest)

Today's Topics:

    "Standard" Font sizes
    Re: TeXhax Digest V96 #5
    TUGboat 17(1) Contents
    Creating Adobe pdf files from LaTeX
    excalibur
    PostScript from other programs
    [ANNOUNCE]  TeX  Live CDROM

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Matthew Clemence)
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 96 15:52:03 BST
Subject: "Standard" Font sizes

I am maintaining a TeX system here at ucl, and like many others I suspect
am allowing the system to generate all the fonts as needed (via MakeTeXpk).
All of these end up jumbled together in the texmf/fonts/tmp/pk directory
(under either cx or ljfour). I would quite like to shift the common ones
into the appropriate sub directory (texmf/fonts/public/cm/ ..) so that
tmp can be deleted on a regular basis. Can someone tell me the standard/most
common sizes required ?

Thanks.
- --
**************************************************************************
Dr. Matthew Clemence              ___      email [email-masked]
University College London
11-20 Shropshire House,
London, England
+44 171 387 9300 x 8448/8264
+44 181 442 1832 Home
**************************************************************************

------------------------------

From: David Carlisle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 96 17:57:14 BST
Subject: Re: TeXhax Digest V96 #5

Perhaps the following is a clearer example:

\chardef\xxx`\a

\ifcat a\xxx
\message{yes}
\else
\message{no}
\fi

\let\xxx=a

\ifcat a\xxx
\message{yes}
\else
\message{no}
\fi

\bye

A \chardef token is not a character token, and so does not have a
catcode so as far as \ifcat is concerned it will compare true against
any other control sequence, but false against any character.
In your case \next is \let to ! ie it has the definition of
\futurelet \next \dopling
because
!%
!
is equivalent to

!!

and \return is a chardef control sequence, so

\ifcat\return\noexpand\next

finds two control sequences and so returns true.

As my example above shows you can get an implicit character token
for use in \ifcat by using \let (the \bgroup you used is another such
example) but you can not do this for <return> as it is not possible to
make any token of catcode 5. input characters of that category always
produce tokens of catcode 10 (and sometimes also  \par tokens)
You can not `see' the end of line by any method at all if you use the
normal system, if you make ^^M active then of course you can see a
ctacode 13 character token, but you disable the automatic system that
TeX uses for converting end of line to white space, so you need
arrange that the definition of ^^M does this `by hand'.

David

------------------------------

From: Mimi Burbank <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 11:16:12 -0500 (EDT)
Subject: TUGboat 17(1) Contents

                              TUGboat
                   Volume 17, Number 1 / March 1996
                   ================================

Addresses                                                             3
Soliciting Bids for TUG'97                                            4

General Delivery
 Michel Goossens
    From the president                                                5
 Barbara Beeton
    Editorial comments                                                6
       DEK on tour; TUB: the year ahead                               6
 TUG'95: Questions and answers with Prof. Donald E. Knuth             7

Software & Tools
 Frank G. Bennett, Jr.
    Camel: kicking over the bibliographic traces in BibTeX           22
 Filip Machi, Jerrold E. Marsden and Wendy G. McKay
    Corrigendum: Introduction to FasTeX: a system of
      keyboard shortcuts for the fast keying of TeX
      (Volume 16(4), pp. 358-363)                                    28

Fonts
 Donald E. Knuth
    Important message regarding CM fonts                             29
 Darko Zubrinic
    Croatian fonts                                                   29

Book Reviews
 J. Vesely Two new books on TeX in the Czech Republic:               34
    Petr Olsak, Typograficky system TeX (TeX typesetting system);
    Jiri Rybicka, LaTeX pro zacatecniky (LaTeX for beginners)
 Lynne A. Price:
    Ronald C. Turner, Timothy A. Douglass, and Audrey J. Turner,
      README.1ST: SGML for Writers and Editors                       35

Letters
 Rama Porrat
    There's still something missing...                               37

Resources
 Mimi Burbank and Michel Goossens
    Electronic news from the family                                  37

Tutorials
 Keith Reckdahl
    Using EPS graphics in LaTeXe documents                           43

Macros
 Don Hosek
    That ol' devil \expandafter                                      53
 J. Hagen and A. F. Otten
    PPCHTeX: typesetting chemical formulas in TeX                    54

LaTeX
 David Carlisle
    A LaTeX tour, Part 1: The basic distribution                     67

Abstracts
 Les Cahiers GUTenberg, No. 20                                       73

News & Announcements
 Calendar                                                            74
 TUG'96 Preliminary schedule                                         76

Late-Breaking News
 Mimi Burbank
    Production notes                                                 78
 Future issues                                                       78

TUG Business
 TUG Bylaws                                                          79
 1996 TUG election cancelled                                         84
 TUG Board Members                                                   84
 Institutional members                                               85

Forms
 TUG membership application                                          86

Advertisements
 TeX consulting and production services                              87
 Index of advertisers                                                87

------------------------------

From: "S. Warde" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 12:55:34 +0100 (BST)
Subject: Creating Adobe pdf files from LaTeX

Looking for help in creating pdf files.

1/
  We are currently moving from LaTeX 209 to LaTeX2e. We have
  found the hyper and hyperref packages in the contrib/supported
  directory.
  Though both authors acknowledge each other and say it would be
  a good idea to merge they don't say when. Until they do I would
  be grateful for peoples experiences with this packages.

2/
  We have obtained the dvihps source from ftp.tex.ac.uk this seems
  to be quiet old. Before installing it I was wondering if
    a - there was a more recent version
    b - anyone had 'ported' it to work with the kpathsea distribution
    c - knew of any limitations
    d - knew of other dvips variants for creating pdf files
  We run LaTeX etc. on SGI's and HP's

3/
  We have come across a reference to an archive and mailing list
  on hypertex hosted at snorri.chem.washington.edu . This machine
  does not seem to exist. Anyone know if the archive and maillist
  are hosted elsewhere?

  Thank you

  Hugo Korwaser
  Femsys Limited
  Tel: +44 (0) 116 2541475
  [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: [email-masked] (Pierre Sens)
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 11:00:31 +0100
Subject: excalibur

Hi Tex users,

I would like to use the spell checker Excalibur for documents in French on
my Macintosh. I heard about a french dictionnary for Excalibur. Does
anybody know where I could download it.

Thanks,

     Pierre Sens

Department of Physics
UCSB
Santa Barbara, Ca 93106
U.S.A
Voice 1 (805) 893-8986
Fax   1 (805) 893-2902
email [email-masked]

------------------------------

From: Russel Winder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 May 1996 02:50:36 +0100
Subject: PostScript from other programs

I regularly need to include PostScript figures in documents.  I find
idraw on Unix produces excellent relocatable PostScript descriptions
but it is a little simplistic.  There are excellent command language
mechanisms for creating PostScript tricks using LaTeX but I really
want to make use of (essentially) WYSIWYG programs like idraw,
FrameMaker and Word to create images for inclusion in LaTeX2e
documents.  Furthermore I often have the requirement to use other
people's PostScript in my LaTeX documents and have no control over the
programs used to create the PostScript.

In the past I have been able to use PostScript produced by various
Macintosh programs (though judicious editing out of font information
is usually required) and also PostScript produced by the PostScript
driver under Windows3.1.

At the pther extreme, FrameMaker has always been a pain in the !@#$.
The PostScript produced by this program is totally un-relocatable.  It
assumes total control of the page and I have yet to discover the
necessary edits to remove it's dictatorial efforts and hence make the
PostScript relocatable.

Moreover Microsoft appear to have gone down this same road and this is
my real problem.  Word7 with the Apple LaaserWriter plus driver (under
Windows95) now produces code that it not relocatable.  Indeed it has
this penchant for trying to enquire of the amount of virtual memory on
a regular basis which makes the PostScript file of a document
un-previewable with ghostscript.  I have found the trick for removing
this VM quesry problem but have not found the trick for removing the
manipulations that bind the coordinate system to the page in it's
dictatorial manner.

Is there a pool of experience on (or even tools to help forcing Word7
and FrameMaker PostScript into a relocatable and hence usable form?

Thanks for any guidance and/or pointers.

Russel.

=======================================================================

Dr Russel Winder

  Reader in Software Engineering
  Editor-in-Chief, Object Oriented Systems

Information Systems Research Group
Department of Computer Science            Phone: +44 (0)171 380 7293
University College London                 Fax: +44 (0)171 387 1397
Gower Street                              EMail: [email-masked]
London WC1E 6BT
UK                        URL: http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/staff/R.Winder/

=======================================================================

------------------------------

From: Sebastian Rahtz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 13:19:48 +0100
Subject: [ANNOUNCE]  TeX  Live CDROM

I am very glad to announce the launch today in Paris of TeX Live, a
new CD published by the TeX Users Group, the UK TeX Users Group and
GUIenberg (French TeX Users), with help from NTG (Dutch TeX Users) and
many individuals from other groups.

TeX Live's 649 megabytes contains:

 - a ready to run Unix TeX setup, Thomas Esser's teTeX (based on Karl
   Berry's Web2c). It has binaries for:
    Linux on Intel and m68k platforms;
    Irix 5.2, 5.3 on MIPS (SGI Indy/Indigo)
    SunOS 4.1.3 on Sun
    Solaris 2.3, 2.4, 2.5 on SPARC
    HPUX 9.01, 10.01 for HP workstations
    Digital Unix (OSF/1) 2.0 and 3.2 for DEC Alpha machines
    FreeBSD and NetBSD on Intel platforms
    Ultrix 4.3, for DEC Decstation machines
    AIX 3.2, 4.1.1, for IBM RS6000 machines
    NeXTStep on Intel platforms
 - a very large support tree of macros, fonts and documentation
    arranged according to the TeX Directory Structure layout
 - the GUTenberg Mac, DOS and Windows distributions (archived)

You can use the TeX system by running directly from the CD, installing
on your hard disk, or by adding packages to your existing system.

This is not a dump of CTAN full of compressed archives. This is a
*working* system. To make it useable under Unix, it uses the Rock
Ridge extensions to the ISO9660 file system. Ordinary systems can
still read it, but will not see the long file names or symbolic links.

If you are on any flavour of Unix, BUY this CD! There is no
complicated compilation or moving of installed files around, it will
just *WORK*.

More details, and ordering information, can be found at
http://www.tug.org/texlive.html. If you dont have WWW access, mail me
or [email-masked] for details. Cost is around $20 for members of any TeX
users group, or $40 for others (the prices vary, depending on
postage). All profits from sales go back to fund new versions of the
CD, and to TeX-related development projects.

Sebastian Rahtz
Secretary, TeX Users Group

------------------------------

End of TeXhax Digest V96 #6
***************************

About TeXhax...

Please send contributions to: [email-masked]

Subscription and unsubscription requests:
    send a one line mail message to [email-masked]
    containing either               subscribe texhax
    or                              unsubscribe texhax
If you have problems with un/subscribing, please mail [email-masked]

To obtain the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) lists for TeX, send a
message with no subject to [email-masked], consisting of
SENDME FAQ

For information on the TeX Users Group, please send a message to
[email-masked], or write TeX Users Group, 1850 Union Street, #1637
San Francisco CA 94123  (phone: 1 415 982 8449, fax:   1 415 982 8559)

Backnumbers of all the digests are stored in the Comprehensive TeX
Archive Network (CTAN) and can be retrieved on the Internet by
anonymous ftp.  The hosts comprising CTAN include, among others,
    ftp.dante.de (129.69.1.12)   -- Germany
    ftp.shsu.edu (192.92.115.10) -- USA
    ftp.tex.ac.uk (128.232.1.87) -- UK
Please use your nearest server, to keep network load down.
The file /tex-archive/CTAN.sites on each of these hosts gives a
list of other sites which maintain full or partial mirrors of the CTAN.
Alternatively, finger [email-masked] for full details.

TeXhax Digest back issues are filed below /tex-archive/digests/texhax/
Keyword-In-Context indexes are filed in /tex-archive/digests/indexes/

A Hypermail version of TeXhax is also available on the World-Wide Web at URL
http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/digests/hyper/

\bye