Subject: UKTeX Digest V94 #04
From: [email-masked]
To: UKTeX Distribution: ;
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 1994 18:44:08 +0000

UKTeX Digest    Friday, 28 Jan 1994    Volume 94 : Issue 04

   ``The UKTeX Digest is brought to you as a free, unfunded and voluntary
        service of the UK TeX Users Group and the UK TeX Archive.''

Today's Topics:
 {Questions & Answers}:
                      Previewing TeX/Postscript
                  Re: One for the gurus, I think....
                         Setting family trees
                           query re LaTeX2e
 {Announcements}:
                     fontinst v1.307 beta-release
                    web2c 6.0 & friends available
                     Movement of german CTAN host

Administrivia:
    Moderators:     Peter Abbott (Aston University) and
                    David Osborne (University of Nottingham)
    Contributions:  [email-masked]
    Administration, subscription and unsubscription requests:
                    [email-masked]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 24 Jan 1994 14:54:53 +0000
From:    ZA9RA01 <[email-masked]>
Subject: Previewing TeX/Postscript

I am trying to preview the output from the "simple" LaTeX input file 
listed below using DVISCR7.

\documentstyle[nftimes]{article}
\fontencoding{T1}
\def\encodingdefault{T1}
\begin{document}
Hello World.........
\end{document}

I have EmTeX v3.141 [3c-beta8], NFSS2 and PSNFSS2. I also have all 
the lj_*.fli and ps_*.fli libraries and emtex knows the path to them.
The dvi file prints OK on a postscript printer using dvips v5.525.

The error message from dviscr7 is:

            ' TeX output 1994.01.24:1416'
            Loading font ptmrq scaled 1000

            Warning 1205: font ptmrq [ptmrq<300>] not found
            Enter new font name/size: 

I don't think the ptmrq font is in any of the ps_*.fli library files??
Any help appreciated.

Thanks

        Bill Peel         |  Computing Services
[email-masked]  |  Manchester Metropolitan University
                  |  Chester Street, Manchester M1 5GD, England

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 25 Jan 1994 11:33:04 +0700
From:    Zdenek Wagner <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: One for the gurus, I think....

In UKTeX #003 Philip Taylor writes:
 
> Date:    Wed, 19 Jan 1994 16:44:45 +0000
> From:    Philip Taylor (RHBNC) <[email-masked]>
> Subject: One for the gurus, I think....
>
> According to _The TeXbook_, p.%214, \input is expandable: the expansion is
> null, but ``TeX prepares to read from the specified file before looking
> at any more tokens from its current source'' (loc. cit.)
>
> So, what might we expect from \expandafter \end \input foo ?
>
> In practice, the specified file is _not_ processed; _but_ the log
> file shews it as having been opened and closed! (The same is true
> if \end is replaced by \endinput).
>
> And what _does_ trigger the `read[ing] from the specified file',
> as opposed to the `prepar[ing] to read'?
>
>                                 Philip Taylor, RHBNC
 
As I remember from somewhere, \input works on line basis, i.e. TeX starts
reading the file when it has nothing to read on the current line. This would
explain the behaviour you describe. TeX opens the file, then executes \end and
never starts to read foo. It remembers that the file is open and therefore the
file is closed before TeX terminates.
 
Unfortunately I cannot find it in the TeXbook. I only managed to find
information regarding \endinput on p.%47 just above Excercise%8.2.
 
Zdenek Wagner

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 26 Jan 1994 14:23:28 +0000
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Setting family trees

Does anyone know if there is a style file or macros for use with LaTeX which
will typeset family trees. I would be quite happy with left to right setting.
It is not vital that it should be top to bottom.

Peter

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 27 Jan 1994 10:18:57 +0000
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: query re LaTeX2e

I need some help, I want to upgrade the VDM-SL macros to work under
LaTeX2e, this involves understanding NFSS2 -- is there an idiots guide
available? I have looked in the obvious places, generated both the
LaTeX2e and NFSS2 system, read the standard documentation, but I
am still non the wiser. Frinstance what is Cork encoding, do I need to
know, do I need to care, will I need to know about virtual fonts, which
way do I face when I mutter the special spell, what is the spell, is today
a blue ticket day etc. etc. etc. Note that references to non published books
are of no help (for the obvious reason)! Many thanks (p.s. I have ordered the
book on LaTeX2e, but it is not available until MARCH!)

derek andrews
Smail: Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
       University of Leicester
       University Road
       Leicester
       LE1 7RH
       UK
Tel:   (+44) 533 523401
Fax:   (+44) 533 523604

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 21 Jan 1994 21:28:00 +0000
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: fontinst v1.307 beta-release

I'd like to announce the beta-release of the `fontinst' font
installation package.  This package:

 * reads Adobe Font Metric files.

 * writes virtual fonts.

 * allows multiple `raw' PS fonts per virtual font (eg ff-ligatures
   taken from an Expert set).

 * allows PostScript and Metafont fonts in the same virtual font (eg
   Times math italic with symbols taken from CMMI).

 * can generate fonts in the TeX text encoding, Extended TeX text
   (or `Cork') encoding, or TeX math encoding.
 
 * is written in TeX, so should run on any TeX platform with enough
   memory.

This package has been in alpha-test for about a year now, and is now
available for beta-test in the CTAN archives in the directory
fonts/utilities/fontinst.  It is freeware.

WARNING: The usual `features' of beta-test software may apply to this
product.  Your mileage may vary.

Alan.

Alan Jeffrey         Tel: +44 273 606755 x 3238         [email-masked]
School of Cognitive and Computing Sciences, Sussex Univ., Brighton BN1 9QH, UK

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 25 Jan 1994 06:45:43 -0500
From:    K Berry <[email-masked]>
Subject: web2c 6.0 & friends available

I've released version 6.0 of web2c, a port of the basic TeX
project web programs (TeX, Metafont, GFtoPK, etc.) to Unix, 
and my modified drivers (dvipsk and xdvik).

You can get everything by ftp from:

      (Boston) ftp.cs.umb.edu:pub/tex/{lib,src,web,web2c,dvipsk,xdvik}.tar.gz

lib is a collection of the basic tfm, tex, mf, and bibtex files
  (in my opinion).
src has additional documentation, sources for some of the things
  in lib, and a few extra programs I find especially valuable.

Soon they will be available from the CTAN sites (please try them first):

       (Texas) ftp.shsu.edu
     (England) ftp.tex.ac.uk         
     (Germany) ftp.uni-stuttgart.de

See the ftp retrieval instructions below for precise details. 

A summary of the changes is below.  Send bug reports to me (I'm sure
there will be plenty). If you want support, or if you cannot ftp, I
suggest contacting [email-masked].

One change worth emphasizing: the default paths have completely changed.
See the file kpathsea/HIER for a summary of this. The Makefile(s) and
kpathsea/paths.h.in do the actual definitions.

By the way, the new version number is 6.0 because 5.8515 was just too
many decimal points (also running out of characters on my system V
filesystems).

The next major feature I intend to implement is a runtime configuration
file (read by all three programs) to define paths.

[email-masked]
Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- write [email-masked].

web2c:
Version 6.0 (24 January 1994)
* Default paths changed.
* Update for TeX 3.1415, etc.
* Change to use the kpathsea library, a la dvipsk and xdvik.

* TeX's \openin command invokes MakeTeXTeX just like \input.

* TeX & Metafont:
  - 16-byte values can be dumped, thus allowing native `long' on the DEC Alpha.
  - But 32-bit integers are used if sharable format files are desired,
    even on 64-bit machines.
  - Interrupts are accepted when waiting for input.
  
* Online output support in Metafont for Regis terminals and the NeXT.
* gftopk can handle characters with up to 100,000 rows.
* vftovp's -charcode-format=ascii works properly.
* patgen doesn't give bizarre numeric output where it should be text.

* configuration:
  - -lX11 is used for OpenWindows.
  - The MakeTeX... scripts are individually selectable by default, and
    can always be invoked if certain environment variables are set.
  - The subdirectory trick using st_nlink can be turned off.

* Makefiles:
  - man/Makefile doesn't remove itself at `clean'.
  - {tex,mf}/clean-tr[ia]p doesn't reinstall a {tex,mf}d.h with the test
     constants.
  - web2c/Makefile removes lex and yacc output at `clean'.
  - mkdirchain invoked as an absolute filename.

* web2c:
  - sync is no longer invoked; instead the Makefiles touch texd.h and
    mfd.h after they are finished.

dvipsk:
5.526a (24 January 1994)
* Extra :'s in config file paths incorporate the compile-time default,
  and extra :'s in envvars incorporate the config file path.
* Default paths and config.ps changed.
* -v prints the version number and exits.
* magstep rounding consistent with xdvik.
* MakeTeXPK.in includes gsftopk support (disabled by default), and
  allows user envvars to override the script's value. Some default
  values substituted from the Makefile.
* Under -DSECURE, reading of absolute_p files is prohibited.

xdvik:
1.5 (24 January 1994)
* Try again to make the signal handling more reliable on the Alpha.
* Debugging option for EPS previewing.
* Magstep rounding consistent with dvipsk.
* xdvi -version by itself doesn't provoke a usage message.
* Make j a synonym for j.


[FTP.nwc: 24 January 1994

 The most up-to-date copy of this file is available on ftp.cs.umb.edu 
 (158.121.104.33) in pub/tex/FTP.nwc.

 If the info below does not match up with what you find on the archives,
 please let us know.  Thanks!  -- [email-masked].]

=========================================================================
     TeX programs are user-supported: join the TeX Users Group (TUG)
            and support the development of these programs.
                For membership information, send mail to
                           [email-masked].
=========================================================================

                        FTP INSTRUCTIONS

Most people who get in touch with the Unix TeX distribution at the Univ.
of Washington are aiming to install plain TeX, LaTeX, BibTeX, plain
Metafont, a previewer that will work under the X windowing system, and a
PostScript device driver.  While the ftp sites listed below have just
about everything useful for users of TeX on a variety of operating
systems, our retrieval instructions -- intended solely for users with
machines running Unix -- are limited to the programs mentioned above.

The three ftp sites mentioned below are part of the Comprehensive TeX 
Archive Network (CTAN).  

    CTAN is the result of cooperative work among members of TUG,
    DANTE [German-speaking TeX Users Group], and UKTUG [U.K. TeX 
    Users Group], under the leadership of George Greenwade, Chair 
    for TUG's Technical Working Group on TeX Archive Guidelines.

    Special thanks to George Greenwade for establishing the CTAN site 
    at Sam Houston State University (US), to Rainer Schoepf for the
    CTAN site at the University of Stuttgart (FRG), and to Sebastian Rahtz 
    for the CTAN site at Aston University (UK).  These archives mirror 
    each other meticulously.
    
Please use the host nearest you: 

    Host                        Internet address        TeX root dir
    ----                        ----------------        ------------
    ftp.shsu.edu                192.92.115.10           tex-archive
    ftp.tex.ac.uk               134.151.44.19           tex-archive
    ftp.uni-stuttgart.de        128.69.1.12             tex-archive

Users of ftp.tex.ac.uk or ftp.uni-stuttgart.de will be able to retrieve
the same tex-archive files, but site-specific files (i.e., the two
mentioned in the next paragraph) may be named differently.

Upon logging on (to ftp.shsu.edu), retrieve and read 

    README.archive-features and
    README.site-commands 

to learn how to use the archive efficiently.  

We assume that you will have read these documents and will be able to
use the information in them to make retrieval more convenient for yourself.

    For example, by reading these files, you will learn that you will be
    able to retrieve foo.tar.gz even if the file does not exist, because
    the ftpd allows archiving and compressing files on the fly.

In our instructions, the mode of compression used during retrieval is
gzip.  All files ending in .gz are gzipped.

We encourage you to retrieve and install GNU's gunzip utility, part of
the gzip package.  Set "binary" by typing "bi" at your ftp prompt, and
retrieve the file

    ~/tex-archive/archive-tools/info-zip/gzip-<version>.tar

It does a better job of compression than standard Unix compress; and it
is (as far as is known) patent-free. It is illegal to use Unix compress
for software on the net, because it infringes on a software patent.

     To inform yourself about the new software monopolies 
                in the U.S., send mail to the 
               League for Programming Freedom: 
                      [email-masked]


For a basic set of input files and fonts:

        ftp> cd tex-archive/systems/unix/web2c
        ftp> bi                                 [for binary retrieval]
        ftp> get lib.tar.gz

    This file contains a small collection of fonts (TFM files only),
    (La)TeX macros, MF macros, and BibTeX files, enough to get
    started. The AMS fonts and macros are included.

    It unpacks into a directory named `texmf', which you will want in
    your equivalent of /usr/local/lib -- whatever you defined as your
    $(datadir) in the Makefiles.

    The organization of the archive was debated at great length. We hope
    it will be useful. If you don't like our organization, you should
    move the files around as you see fit, not forgetting to redefine the
    search paths and installation directories. The Makefiles,
    kpathsea/HIER, kpathsea/paths.h.in, and web2c/README (``Directory
    hierarchies'') have more tidbits of information.

    We advise unpacking this and deciding on your directory structure
    *before* doing the compilations.


For web2c:

   Special thanks here to Karl Berry, Unix System Coordinator for TUG.
   He improves/develops/maintains web2c, modes.mf, dvipsk, and xdvik
   (and other things not mentioned in this file).  He also maintains
   pub/tex on ftp.cs.umb.edu, which is the originating location for all
   the files above and below.

        [still in tex-archive/systems/unix/web2c]

        ftp> get web.tar.gz     [Knuth's WEB sources for TeX, MF, & family:
                                 unpacks into ./web2c-<version>]

        ftp> get web2c.tar.gz   [WEB-to-C source:
                                 unpacks into ./web2c-<version>]

   It is important to retrieve and unpack both web.tar.gz and web2c.tar.gz.
   They unbundle into a single directory called ./web2c-<version>.

   The web2c software converts the WEB source files (in which TeX,
   Metafont, & family are written) to C source.  The input and font
   files are needed to dump the format and base files required to run 
   plain TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont.


For an X window system previewer (xdvik) 
   and PostScript device driver (dvipsk):
                
        ftp> cd ../../dviware/xdvik
        ftp> get xdvik.tar.gz   
                [unpacks into ./xdvik-<version>]

        ftp> cd ../dvipsk
        ftp> get dvipsk.tar.gz
                [unpacks into dvipsk-<version>]

        ftp> cd ../../fonts/cm/pk
        ftp> get pk300.zip
                [For write-black 300dpi devices.

                 The zip/unzip package is in 
                 ~/tex-archive/archive-tools/info-zip.

                 These pk fonts are not strictly necessary;
                 dvips and xdvi can use a script `MakeTeXPK' that will 
                 generate missing bitmapped fonts.]

        ftp> get pk300w.zip
                [pk300w (write-white) fonts are better with xdvi]

        ftp> quit                       [end ftp session]

We believe this covers the retrieval of the essential files.  

Each of the three packages -- web2c, xdvik, dvipsk, -- contains its own
installation instructions.  The first thing to compile is web2c (that is
to say, both web.tar.gz and web2c.tar.gz, unpacked); begin by reading
./web2c-<version>/web2c/README.

If this is your first TeX installation, you may not find the process 
as easy as installing directly from our distribution tape, but ease is 
a matter of degree.  All installation processes require careful attention 
to detail, and knowledge of your system.  Festina Lente (Make Haste Slowly), 
and you improve your chances of success.  

Those who purchase distribution tapes from us support this reply service,
and receive installation help should they need it.

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Network users interested in TeX software will find much that is useful in 
the following FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) documents on rtfm.mit.edu
(18.70.0.209) in ~pub/usenet/comp.text.tex:

        T,_L,_e.:_F_A_Q_w_A_[M] 
                (i.e., TeX, LaTeX, etc.: FAQ with Answers [Monthly])

There is also a supplement to the FAQ containing FTP locations; it's in
the same place on rtfm.mit.edu.

A beautifully done index of macros for TeX and LaTeX is available on 
theory.lcs.mit.edu (18.52.0.92) in ~/pub/tex/TeX-index.

These files are all included in ftp.cs.umb.edu:pub/tex/src.tar.gz.

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are concerned about connect-time, search or retrieval problems,
or require help in building and installing the basic TeX/LaTeX and
Metafont programs on your machines, you may wish to consider ordering a
distribution tape from

        Northwest Computing Support Center
        DR-10, Thomson Hall 35
        University of Washington
        Seattle WA  98195

        phone: (206) 543-6259

A distribution fee in the area of $210 for domestic U.S. sites covers
the expenses of putting together and maintaining the distribution, its
equipment, and of providing information and installation-support
services.  The University of Washington does not subsidize the Unix TeX
distribution.

E-mail queries concerning the distribution tape should be sent to: 

   [email-masked] 

otherwise to:  

   [email-masked]    (Dr. Pierre A. MacKay).

********************************************************************
All services of the Unix TeX distribution are funded by tape orders.
       Please do not be shy about asking us for information.

Northwest Computing Support Center   Email: [email-masked]
University of Washington, DR-10      Phone: 206 543-6259 M-F 8a-12n
Seattle WA  98195  USA
********************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 28 Jan 1994 13:03:20 +0100
From:    [email-masked] (Rainer Schoepf)
Subject: Movement of german CTAN host

The german node of the Comprehensive TeX Archive Network (CTAN) has
moved from 

ftp.uni-stuttgart.de

to

ftp.dante.de

The latter is a dedicated machine, kindly supplied by the Association
of german speaking TeX users (DANTE e.V.). We are grateful to the
computing center of the University of Stuttgart, especially Barbara
Burr and her crew, for having supplied the services to run the TeX
archive on one of their hosts and to DANTE and its members for
contributing the necessary funds through their membership fees.

Note that ftp.uni-stuttgart will continue to offer access to the TeX
archive; users of that node will not notice any difference.

   Rainer Schoepf
   Konrad-Zuse-Zentrum
    fuer Informationstechnik Berlin
   Heilbronner Strasse 10
   D-10711 Berlin
   Federal Republic of Germany
   <[email-masked]> or <[email-masked]>

------------------------------
                                        
                       UK TeX ARCHIVE at ASTON UNIVERSITY
                              >>>  UK.AC.TEX  <<<
                                        
                  *** Interactive and file transfer access ***
                                     JANET:
                          uk.ac.tex (DTE 000020120091)
                       Username: public, Password: public
                                   Internet:
              tex.ac.uk [134.151.79.28] -- telnet/rlogin, anonymous ftp
             ftp.tex.ac.uk [134.151.79.32] -- anonymous ftp, gopher, NFS
               For telnet access, login: public, password: public
      For anonymous ftp, login: anonymous, password: <your-e-mail-address>
                                        
                              *** Mail server ***
                    Send mail to [email-masked] (JANET)
                   or [email-masked] (rest of the world)
                   with message body containing the word HELP
                                        
\section FILES OF INTEREST

    [tex-archive]00readme.txt
    [tex-archive]00index.files        [tex-archive]0000index.zip_vve
    [tex-archive]00last7days.files    [tex-archive]00last7days.zip_vve
    [tex-archive]00last30days.files   [tex-archive]00last30days.zip_vve

    [tex-archive.doc]TeX-FAQ.txt    (Frequently Asked Questions list)
    [tex-archive.doc]FAQ-Supplement-*.txt    (FAQ supplement)

\section DIGESTS

    This year's UKTeX back issues are stored in the archive in directory
      [tex-archive.digests.uktex.93]
    This year's TeXhax back issues are stored in the archive in directory
      [tex-archive.digests.texhax.93]
      Latest TeXhax: V93 #17

\section MEDIA DISTRIBUTIONS
    Postal addresses are given below.

\subsection Washington Unix TeX distribution tape
    Latest copy of May/June 1991 contains:
    TeX 3.14, LaTeX 2.09, Metafont 2.7, plus many utilities
    suitable for Unix 4.2/4.3BSD & System V
    tar format, 1 file (36Mb)

       One Quarter-Inch Cartridge, QIC-120 or QIC-150 format (DC600A or DC6150)
       sent with envelope AND stamps for return postage to **Nottingham**
       (Due to currency exchange, this service is offered only within the UK)

\section TeX IMPLEMENTATIONS FOR SMALL COMPUTERS

\subsection OzTeX for Macintosh
    No longer distributed on disk from Aston, though it continues
    to be available in the Archive for network access.

    Available on disk from TeX Users Group; mail TUG for details.

\subsection emTeX (for OS/2, PC-DOS and MS-DOS)
    Distribution currently being arranged; see announcement in later
    issues of UKTeX.

    Also available on disk from TeX Users Group; mail TUG for details.

\subsection TeX for the Atari ST
    All enquiries for disks etc. should be directed to:
    The South West Software Library, P.O. Box 562, Wimborne, Dorset BH21 2YD
    JANET: [email-masked]   Internet: [email-masked]

\section POSTAGE RATES
    Quarter-inch cartridges:
            UK: 1.00,  Europe: 2.00.

\section POSTAL ADDRESSES
    Please include SELF-ADDRESSED ADHESIVE LABELS for return postage.

    Peter Abbott
    Information Systems, Aston University, Aston Triangle, Birmingham B4 7ET
    JANET: [email-masked]   Internet: [email-masked]

    David Osborne
    Cripps Computing Centre, University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 2RD
    (for Quarter-inch cartridges ONLY -- must include stamps for return postage)
    JANET: [email-masked]
    Internet: [email-masked]

    TeX Users Group
    P.O. Box 869, Santa Barbara, CA 93102, USA.
    Internet: [email-masked]
    
\section UK TeX USERS GROUP
    Details available from
    Jonathan Fine, 203 Coldhams Lane, Cambridge CB1 3HY, UK
    JANET: [email-masked]
    Internet: [email-masked]

\bye

End of UKTeX Digest [Volume 94 Issue 4]
***************************************