Subject: UKTeX Digest V94 #06
From: [email-masked]
To: UKTeX Distribution: ;
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 1994 18:21:29 +0000

UKTeX Digest    Thursday, 10 Feb 1994    Volume 94 : Issue 06

   ``The UKTeX Digest is brought to you as a free, unfunded and voluntary
        service of the UK TeX Users Group and the UK TeX Archive.''

Today's Topics:
 {Questions & Answers}:
                         Re: postscript fonts
                      Font substitution in dvips
 {Announcements}:
                      web2c 6.1 et al. available
                    Re: web2c 6.1 et al. available
  LaTeX2e version of artikel?, rapport?, boek TEST version available

Administrivia:
    Moderators:     Peter Abbott (Aston University) and
                    David Osborne (University of Nottingham)
    Contributions:  [email-masked]
    Administration, subscription and unsubscription requests:
                    [email-masked]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    07 Feb 1994 09:13:45
From:    Mike Piff <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: postscript fonts

%>From:    [email-masked] (Sebastian Rahtz)
%>
%>in practice, why not just preview the PostScript with ghostview under
%>Windows

Isn't life too short?

Also, this is a very buggy program. It often says it is unable to open drive
e umlaut, a grave or something of the kind.

Mike

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%% Dr M J Piff, School of Mathematics and Statistics, University of %%
%% Sheffield, UK.                    e-mail: [email-masked] %%
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 07 Feb 1994 14:15:01 +0000
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Font substitution in dvips

I have a problem with fonts such as lcircle10 and lcirclew10 using dvips
under DOS because of the usual 8 character filename restriction.

I have a font.sub file which allows me to access these fonts using, say,
the emtex previewer and printer driver, but there does not appear to be an
analogous file that dvips uses. (I have tried inserting lines into
psfonts.map---the file that serves this purpose for Postscript fonts---but
this seems to make no difference). Can anybody help?

John Nimmo

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 04 Feb 1994 13:42:59 -0500
From:    "K. Berry" <[email-masked]>
Subject: web2c 6.1 et al. available

I've released version 6.1 of web2c, a port of the basic TeX
project web programs (TeX, Metafont, GFtoPK, etc.) to Unix, 
and my modified drivers (dvipsk and xdvik).

You can get everything by ftp from:

      (Boston) ftp.cs.umb.edu:pub/tex/{lib,web,web2c,dvipsk,xdvik}.tar.gz

Soon they will be available from the CTAN sites (please try them first):

       (Texas) ftp.shsu.edu
     (England) ftp.tex.ac.uk         
     (Germany) ftp.uni-stuttgart.de

See the ftp retrieval instructions below for precise details. 

A summary of the changes is below.  Send bug reports to me (I'm sure
there will be plenty). If you want support, or if you cannot ftp, I
suggest contacting [email-masked].

There are no changes to the web files (that will be version 7.0);
web-6.1.tar.gz is only different in the name of its top-level directory.

[email-masked]
Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- write [email-masked].

lib is a collection of the basic tfm, tex, mf, and bibtex files
  (in my opinion). Only change from 6.0 is to add the raw tfm's for Utopia.

web2c:
* foo.bar found before foo.tex (found before foo).
* configure links sun.c to sun-sunview.c if SUNWIN is defined.
* -DLONG_64_BITS is supplied automatically (if appropriate).
* Various changes for configure --srcdir.
* Sample MakeTeX* scripts included.

dvipsk:
* Don't complain if scaled fonts are close enough.
* Document -pp.

There are no particular xdvik changes; just keeping up with the kpathsea
fixes.

[FTP.nwc: 02 FEB 1994

 The most up-to-date copy of this file is available on ftp.cs.umb.edu 
 (158.121.104.33) in pub/tex/FTP.nwc.

 If the info below does not match up with what you find on the archives,
 please let us know.  Thanks!  -- [email-masked].]

=========================================================================
     TeX programs are user-supported: join the TeX Users Group (TUG)
            and support the development of these programs.
                For membership information, send mail to
                           [email-masked].
=========================================================================

                        FTP INSTRUCTIONS

Most people who get in touch with the Unix TeX distribution at the Univ.
of Washington are aiming to install plain TeX, LaTeX, BibTeX, plain
Metafont, a previewer that will work under the X windowing system, and a
PostScript device driver.  While the ftp sites listed below have just
about everything useful for users of TeX on a variety of operating
systems, our retrieval instructions -- intended solely for users with
machines running Unix -- are limited to the programs mentioned above.

The three ftp sites mentioned below are part of the Comprehensive TeX 
Archive Network (CTAN).  

    CTAN is the result of cooperative work among members of TUG,
    DANTE [German-speaking TeX Users Group], and UKTUG [U.K. TeX 
    Users Group], under the leadership of George Greenwade, Chair 
    for TUG's Technical Working Group on TeX Archive Guidelines.

    Special thanks to George Greenwade for establishing the CTAN site 
    at Sam Houston State University (US); to Rainer Schoepf, Barbara Burr,
    and members of DANTE for the CTAN site at the University of Stuttgart 
    (FRG); and to Sebastian Rahtz for the CTAN site at Aston University (UK).
    These archives mirror each other meticulously.
    
Please use the host nearest you: 

    Host                        Internet address        TeX root dir
    ----                        ----------------        ------------
    ftp.shsu.edu                192.92.115.10           tex-archive
    ftp.tex.ac.uk               134.151.44.19           tex-archive
    ftp.dante.de                128.69.1.12             tex-archive

Users of ftp.tex.ac.uk or ftp.dante.de will be able to retrieve
the same tex-archive files, but site-specific files (i.e., the two
mentioned in the next paragraph) may be named differently.

Upon logging on (to ftp.shsu.edu), retrieve and read 

    README.archive-features and
    README.site-commands 

to learn how to use the archive efficiently.  

We assume that you will have read these documents and will be able to
use the information in them to make retrieval more convenient for yourself.

    For example, by reading these files, you will learn that you will be
    able to retrieve foo.tar.gz even if the file does not exist, because
    the ftpd allows archiving and compressing files on the fly.

In our instructions, the mode of compression used during retrieval is
gzip.  All files ending in .gz are gzipped.

We encourage you to retrieve and install GNU's gunzip utility, part of
the gzip package.  Set "binary" by typing "bi" at your ftp prompt, and
retrieve the file

    ~/tex-archive/archive-tools/info-zip/gzip-<version>.tar

It does a better job of compression than standard Unix compress; and it
is (as far as is known) patent-free. It is illegal to use Unix compress
for software on the net, because it infringes on a software patent.

     To inform yourself about the new software monopolies 
                in the U.S., send mail to the 
               League for Programming Freedom: 
                      [email-masked]


For a basic set of input files and fonts:
- ----------------------------------------

        ftp> cd tex-archive/systems/web2c
        ftp> bi                                 [for binary retrieval]
        ftp> get lib.tar.gz

    This file contains a small collection of fonts (TFM files only),
    (La)TeX macros, MF macros, and BibTeX files, enough to get
    started. The AMS fonts and macros are included.

    It unpacks into a directory named `texmf', which you will want in
    your equivalent of /usr/local/lib -- whatever you defined as your
    $(datadir) in the Makefiles.

    The organization of the archive was debated at great length. We hope
    it will be useful. If you don't like our organization, you should
    move the files around as you see fit, not forgetting to redefine the
    search paths and installation directories. The Makefiles,
    kpathsea/HIER, kpathsea/paths.h.in, and web2c/README (``Directory
    hierarchies'') have more tidbits of information.

    We advise unpacking this and deciding on your directory structure
    *before* doing the compilations.


For web2c:
- ---------

   Special thanks here to Karl Berry, Unix System Coordinator for TUG.
   He improves/develops/maintains web2c, modes.mf, dvipsk, and xdvik
   (and other things not mentioned in this file).  He also maintains
   pub/tex on ftp.cs.umb.edu, which is the originating location for all
   the files above and below.

        [still in tex-archive/systems/web2c]

        ftp> get web.tar.gz     [Knuth's WEB sources for TeX, MF, & family:
                                 unpacks into ./web2c-<version>]

        ftp> get web2c.tar.gz   [WEB-to-C source:
                                 unpacks into ./web2c-<version>]

   It is important to retrieve and unpack both web.tar.gz and web2c.tar.gz.
   They unbundle into a single directory called ./web2c-<version>.

   The web2c software converts the WEB source files (in which TeX,
   Metafont, & family are written) to C source.  The input and font
   files are needed to dump the format and base files required to run 
   plain TeX, LaTeX, and Metafont.


For an X window system previewer (xdvik) 
- -------------------------------
   and PostScript device driver (dvipsk):
   -------------------------------------
                
        ftp> cd ../../dviware/xdvik
        ftp> get xdvik.tar.gz   
                [unpacks into ./xdvik-<version>]

        ftp> cd ../dvipsk
        ftp> get dvipsk.tar.gz
                [unpacks into dvipsk-<version>]

        ftp> cd ../../fonts/cm/pk
        ftp> get pk300.zip
                [Basic set of bitmapped fonts generated by Metafont
                 using the CanonCX mode_def for write-black 300dpi devices.
                 
                 If using the web2c default search paths,
                 place this set of Computer Modern bitmapped fonts
                 in $(fontdir)/public/cm/pk/cx.

                 These pk fonts are not strictly necessary;
                 dvips and xdvi can be used with a script called 
                 `MakeTeXPK' to generate needed bitmapped fonts.  
                 Use $(fontdir)/tmp/pk/cx as the temporary destination 
                 directory for newly-generated 300dpi write-black fonts.

                 The zip/unzip package is in 
                 ~/tex-archive/archive-tools/info-zip.]

        ftp> get pk300w.zip
                [Bitmapped fonts generated using the 
                 RicohFourZeroEightZero mode_def;
                 pk300w (write-white) fonts are better with xdvi
                 at lower magnifications.

                 If using the web2c default search paths,
                 place these in $(fontdir)/public/cm/pk/ricoh.

                 If using MakeTeXPK to generate 300dpi write-white fonts, 
                 use $(fontdir)/tmp/pk/ricoh as the temporary destination 
                 directory for newly-generated 300dpi write-white fonts.]

        ftp> quit                       [end ftp session]

We believe this covers the retrieval of the essential files.  

Each of the three packages -- web2c, xdvik, dvipsk -- contains its own
installation instructions.  If you have never set up these programs before,
compile web2c first (that is to say, the material in both web.tar.gz and 
web2c.tar.gz, unpacked); begin by reading ./web2c-<version>/web2c/README
and ./web2c-<version>/web2c/INSTALL.  Remember to set up your texmf
directory hierarchy before embarking on your compilation (see "For a 
basic set of input files and fonts" above).

All installation processes require careful attention to detail, and knowledge 
of your system.  "Make haste slowly", and you improve your chances of success.


How to make web2c, dvipsk, and xdvik in a single make:
- -----------------------------------------------------
[Thanks to Martyn Johnson, Pierre MacKay, Jon Peatfield, and Andreas Schott
 for their notes.]

These three programs are not packaged together, because the latter two 
are updated fairly frequently.  But (thanks to Karl's work), the programs 
can be made in a single make:

        Extract the three archives so that the following directories
        are parallel to each other: 

                ./dvipsk-<version> 
                ./web2c-<version> 
                ./xdvik-<version>

        Next:

                mv dvipsk-<version>/dvipsk web2c-<version>

                mv xdvik-<version>/xdvik web2c-<version>
        
        ./web2c-<version> should now contain four subdirectories:
        dvipsk, kpathsea, web2c, and xdvik.

The files remaining in ./dvipsk-<version> and ./xdvik-<version> 
are identical in all three archives.  If you wish, you can now 
remove ./dvipsk-<version> and ./xdvik-<version>.  If you wish to 
retain the names and versions of the programs, you can create the 
following symbolic links:

        ln -s web2c-<version> dvipsk-<version>

        ln -s web2c-<version> xdvik-<version>

Be sure to read web2c-<version>/README, web2c-<version>/web2c/INSTALL,
web2c-<version>/dvipsk/INSTALL, and web2c-<version>/xdvik/INSTALL.

Make sure that you have completed the instructions in the section above
called "For a basic set of input files and fonts".

You are now ready to begin configuring and building the programs.        


Network users interested in TeX software will find much that is useful in 
the following FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) documents on rtfm.mit.edu
(18.70.0.209) in ~pub/usenet/comp.text.tex:

        T,_L,_e.:_F_A_Q_w_A_[M] 
                (i.e., TeX, LaTeX, etc.: FAQ with Answers [Monthly])

There is also a supplement to the FAQ containing FTP locations; it's in
the same place on rtfm.mit.edu.

A beautifully done index of macros for TeX and LaTeX is available on 
theory.lcs.mit.edu (18.52.0.92) in ~/pub/tex/TeX-index.

These files are all included in ftp.cs.umb.edu:pub/tex/src.tar.gz.

- ------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are concerned about connect-time, search or retrieval problems,
or require help in building and installing the basic TeX/LaTeX and
Metafont programs on your machines, you may wish to consider ordering 
a distribution tape from us (address below).

A distribution fee in the area of $210 for domestic U.S. sites covers
the expenses of putting together and maintaining the tape distribution, 
equipment, and of providing information and installation-support
services.  The University of Washington does not subsidize the Unix TeX
distribution and requires it to be self-sustaining.

E-mail queries concerning the distribution tape should be sent to: 

   [email-masked] 

otherwise to:  

   [email-masked]    (Dr. Pierre A. MacKay).

********************************************************************
ALL services of the Unix TeX distribution are funded by tape orders.
       Please do not be shy about asking us for information.

Northwest Computing Support Center   Email: [email-masked]
University of Washington, DR-10      Phone: 206 543-6259 M-F 8a-12n
Seattle WA  98195  USA
********************************************************************

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 05 Feb 1994 14:37:15 +0100
From:    Gerhard Wilhelms <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: web2c 6.1 et al. available

Karl Berry writes:
> Soon they will be available from the CTAN sites (please try them first):
> 
>        (Texas) ftp.shsu.edu
>      (England) ftp.tex.ac.uk         
>      (Germany) ftp.uni-stuttgart.de

The German CTAN site is now ftp.dante.de which is dedicated to TeX
and Metafont only. You could get everything from Stuttgart but you
have to share this FTP site with other users.

Regards,

        Gerhard Wilhelms
        University of Augsburg (Germany)
        Department of Mathematics - Computer Science
        Universitaetsstrasse 2
        D-86159 Augsburg                     Phone : +49 +821/598-2116 
        Internet: [email-masked]     Fax :          598-2200

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 07 Feb 1994 11:23:30 +0100
From:    "Johannes L. Braams" <[email-masked]>
Subject: LaTeX2e version of artikel?, rapport?, boek TEST version available

    Hi,

        The NTG document styles artikel?, rapport? and boek have been
        upgraded to document classes for LaTeX2e.

        A test version is available from [email-masked] and
        from CTAN in the directory
        tex-archive/macros/latex2e/contrib/supported/ntgclass 
        (Note: today only on ftp.dante.de, within 24 hours also on the
        other CTAN hosts)

        The distribution currently contains 3 files, ntgclass.dtx (the
        source), ntgclass.ins (docstrip program to unpack) and
        ntgclass.tex (some documentation).

        When you find any bugs, please reporet them to me.

        Johannes Braams

PTT Research,                           P.O. box 421,
2260 AK Leidschendam,                   The Netherlands.
Phone    : +31 70 3325051               E-mail : [email-masked]
Fax      : +31 70 3326477

------------------------------
                                        
                       UK TeX ARCHIVE at ASTON UNIVERSITY
                              >>>  UK.AC.TEX  <<<
                                        
                  *** Interactive and file transfer access ***
                                     JANET:
                          uk.ac.tex (DTE 000020120091)
                       Username: public, Password: public
                                   Internet:
              tex.ac.uk [134.151.79.28] -- telnet/rlogin, anonymous ftp
             ftp.tex.ac.uk [134.151.79.32] -- anonymous ftp, gopher, NFS
               For telnet access, login: public, password: public
      For anonymous ftp, login: anonymous, password: <your-e-mail-address>
                                        
                              *** Mail server ***
                        Send mail to [email-masked]
                   with message body containing the word HELP
                                        
\section FILES OF INTEREST

    [tex-archive]00readme.txt
    [tex-archive]00index.files        [tex-archive]0000index.zip_vve
    [tex-archive]00last7days.files    [tex-archive]00last7days.zip_vve
    [tex-archive]00last30days.files   [tex-archive]00last30days.zip_vve

    [tex-archive.doc]TeX-FAQ.txt    (Frequently Asked Questions list)
    [tex-archive.doc]FAQ-Supplement-*.txt    (FAQ supplement)

\section DIGESTS

    This year's UKTeX back issues are stored in the archive in directory
      [tex-archive.digests.uktex.93]
    This year's TeXhax back issues are stored in the archive in directory
      [tex-archive.digests.texhax.93]
      Latest TeXhax: V94 #01

\section MEDIA DISTRIBUTIONS
    Postal addresses are given below.

\subsection Washington Unix TeX distribution tape
    Our latest copy of May/June 1991 contains:
    TeX 3.14, LaTeX 2.09, Metafont 2.7, plus many utilities
    suitable for Unix 4.2/4.3BSD & System V
    tar format, 1 file (36Mb)

    Send One Quarter-Inch Cartridge, QIC-120 or QIC-150 format
    (DC600A or DC6150) with envelope AND stamps for return
    postage to David Osborne (address below); due to currency
    exchange, this service is offered only within the UK.

\section TeX IMPLEMENTATIONS FOR SMALL COMPUTERS

\subsection PC and Mac disks

    From January 1994 the UK TeX Users' Group is distributing an
    emTeX kit for PCs, and an OzTeX kit for Macintosh. The cost
    covers copying and postage costs, and the shareware fee for
    OzTeX.  Each set costs \pounds30, and is available from
    Peter Abbott, 1 Eymore Close, Selly Oak, Birmingham B29 4LB.
    Cheques must be payable to `UKTUG'. Please note that this
    service **is available to UKTUG members only.**

    Each set comes with an installation guide, and (at least)
    full TeX and Metafont, a previewer, a PostScript driver, and
    CM fonts. Two update disks a year will be sent out
    automatically, with the current version of LaTeXe, and other
    goodies. A subscription service will be available for
    subsequent years. In addition, subscribers can request up to
    3 disks a year with any material from the CTAN archives, but
    this will be supplied `as is', without instructions.

    OzTeX and emTeX are also available on disk from TeX Users Group;
    mail TUG for details.

\subsection TeX for the Atari ST

    Enquiries for TeX for the Atari ST etc. can be directed to:
    The Fast Club, 7 Musters Road, Nottingham NG2 7PP. Phone
    0602 455250, fax 0602 455305. They also supply a variety of
    TeX-related software in Atari format.

    Enquiries for disks etc. can also be directed to:
    The South West Software Library, P.O. Box 562, Wimborne, Dorset BH21 2YD
    Internet: [email-masked]

\section POSTAGE RATES
    Quarter-inch cartridges:
            UK: 1.00,  Europe: 2.00.

\section POSTAL ADDRESSES
    Please include SELF-ADDRESSED ADHESIVE LABELS for return postage.

    Peter Abbott
    Information Systems, Aston University, Aston Triangle, Birmingham B4 7ET
    Internet: [email-masked]

    David Osborne
    Cripps Computing Centre, University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 2RD
    (for Unix cartridges ONLY -- must include stamps for return postage)
    Internet: [email-masked]

    TeX Users Group
    P.O. Box 869, Santa Barbara, CA 93102, USA.
    Internet: [email-masked]
    
\section UK TeX USERS GROUP
    Details available from
    Jonathan Fine, 203 Coldhams Lane, Cambridge CB1 3HY, UK
    or from
    Internet: [email-masked]

\bye

End of UKTeX Digest [Volume 94 Issue 6]
***************************************