Subject: UKTeX Digest V94 #08
From: [email-masked]
To: UKTeX Distribution: ;
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 1994 14:25:24 +0000

UKTeX Digest    Friday, 25 Feb 1994    Volume 94 : Issue 08

   ``The UKTeX Digest is brought to you as a free, unfunded and voluntary
        service of the UK TeX Users Group and the UK TeX Archive.''

Today's Topics:
 {Questions & Answers}:
                           TeX for Windows
                     Re: Type 1 PostScript fonts
                   Re: LaTeX2e and packages/classes
                   Re: LaTeX2e and packages/classes
                         Re: postscript fonts
        Rotating too wide for a4 portrait table into landscape
                        TeX memory limitations
                       PostScript virtual fonts
                           What is AUCTeX?
         Postscript versions of LaTeX line and Circle fonts.

Administrivia:
    Moderators:     Peter Abbott (Aston University) and
                    David Osborne (University of Nottingham)
    Contributions:  [email-masked]
    Administration, subscription and unsubscription requests:
                    [email-masked]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 18 Feb 1994 21:54:49 +0000
From:    Peter J Knaggs <[email-masked]>
Subject: TeX for Windows 

Here we go again,

I have been quit happy using EmTeX for some time.  Unfortunatly I have
now been forced into using Windows.  As a resault I am no longer able
to use EmTeX, as the emx system that underpins EmTeX does not understand
how to use DPMI.  Can anybody offer any advice on this problem?

It should be noted that I am using Windows-NT at home, and Win32 in
the office.

- --
Peter J Knaggs        Computing & Information Systems, University of Paisley, 
[email-masked]     High Street, Paisley, Scotland. +44 (0)41-848-3545

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 19 Feb 1994 15:10:41 +0000
From:    [email-masked] (Sebastian Rahtz)
Subject: Re: Type 1 PostScript fonts

 > I'm using TeX and dvips with GhostScript to print. The ghostscript fonts
 > aren't of good enough quality. Printing TeX output with the supplied
 > ghostscript fonts is like asking Monet to paint on newspaper :-(
 > 
 > Can anyone recommend a (reasonably cheap?) supplier of Type 1 hinted
 > fonts? Addresses/telephone numbers welcome.

three answers
 a) buy a copy of ATM for Windows or Mac (free with many programs, and
    OS/2). this gives you Times, Helvetica and Courier Type1 sources
 b) use free fonts. Charter, Utopia, Nimbus etc. or the CM fonts - all
    available in Type1 hinted format in the public domain (the
    Paradissa collection)
 c) whats expensive? how many do you need? you could buy all of
    Lucida Bright, for instance for a few hundred pounds, which isnt
    much in the circumstances.
I'd buy good quality fonts from the big names like Adobe or Monotype,
and just skip a few trips to the seaside to pay for them.

Sebastian Rahtz

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 19 Feb 1994 15:10:41 +0000
From:    [email-masked] (Sebastian Rahtz)
Subject: Re: LaTeX2e and packages/classes

 > From:    Mike Piff <[email-masked]>
 > Subject: LaTeX2e and packages/classes
 > 
 > I should draw your attention to the fact that Joachim Schrod has been made
 > the moderator for the CTAN archive as far as LaTeX styles are concerned. It
 > is his avowed intention to *reject* any new style files that do not also
 > behave as LaTeX2e packages/classes. Thus the intention is to *force*
 > contributors to conform to LaTeX2e standards, despite the limitations of the
 > new system and the possibility that it might be superceded in a couple of
 > years time.
 > 
 > The compatibility mode of LaTeX is thus only being supported nominally. You
 > have lost your freedom to continue using and enhancing this mode.

I dont know where to start with this hysterical outburst. Lets begin
by getting it straight what Joachim Schrod has agreed to do in CTAN:
we decided we wanted it clear which packages and classes were fully
documented, tested, and maintained, as opposed to being donated `as
is'. We have therefore split the contrib/ area for LaTeX2e into
`supported' and `other'. To make it quite clear for *users* of this
stuff, Joachim will issue guidelines for what it means to be
`supported'.  Since this is contributed software for *LaTeX2e*, he
will naturally expect it to conform to 2e standards. I regard this as
being entirely reasonable and beyond dispute.

Next, let's also get it clear that 

 - LaTeX 209 style files will be accepted in CTAN in almost any
   foreseeable future, and stored in the latex209 area
 - packages/class which people wish to place in the public domain for 2e, but
   do not wish to support or document to the standards, will simply
   be placed in a different area from the `supported' one under 2e. 

Thirdly, lets look at CTAN policy (not formally stated, i admit),
which is that the author dictates what goes in the archive, and how
its arranged below our classification point. When LaTeX2e came out, I
asked the developers how they wanted it stored in CTAN, and after much
discussion, the scheme you see as macros/latex2e was decided on. I was
very pleased to see the establishment of a `moderated' area for
contributions, and very grateful to someone of Joachim's acuity for
looking after it. I was equally pleased to see the `other' area, which
could contain whatever  authors wanted to place in the public domain.

 > I think this is a serious issue for LaTeX, and one that must be addressed
 > publicly.

I am always puzzled by people who think that LaTeX is a basic human
right. Its there because Lamport wrote it, and lets you use it for
nothing. Now he has allowed a team led by Frank Mittelbach to maintain
and enhance it, and gives his full blessing to LaTeX2e, which he will
describe in the forthcoming new edition of his book.  I, and many many
other people, welcome LaTeX2e, and want to use it, and write public
domain packages/classes for it. 

When it comes down to it, LaTeX, and CTAN, and its contents, are
developed and maintained by voluntary effort for whoever wants to use
them. THEY DONT HAVE ANY WARRANTY! YOU HAVE NO FORMAL RIGHTS!

So: write your own macro package; start your own archive; start an area
on CTAN of `rebel' packages; find funding to allow Frank Mittelbach
and others to work full-time on LaTeX3; try to buy the rights to
the `LaTeX' name from Lamport etc, and do what you want with it. More
action, less words!

Sebastian Rahtz
(this is a private answer, not checked by other CTAN or UK TeX
Archive maintainers)

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 21 Feb 1994 17:14:04 +0100
From:    Joachim Schrod <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: LaTeX2e and packages/classes

> Date:    11 Feb 1994 12:28:08
> From:    Mike Piff <[email-masked]>
> Subject: LaTeX2e and packages/classes
> 
> I should draw your attention to the fact that Joachim Schrod has been made
> the moderator for the CTAN archive as far as LaTeX styles are concerned.

This is not true.

FYI: There are plans to make the CTAN area
macros/latex2e/contrib/supported/ moderated. As the name latex2e
implies already, this area is concerned with distributions for
LaTeX2e, not for 2.09-only stuff. (Of course, if packages work with
LaTeX2e _and_ with 2.09, it's even better.)
    Most probably, I will be the moderator of this area. There will
be guidelines for submissions that concern the structure (not the
content) of any distribution unit (aka bundle) in this area. To
prevent false expectations: there are no plans for reviewing
submissions, like in comp.sources.reviewed -- we're more interested
to check a minimum level of completeness for a bundle, like in
comp.sources.misc.

> It
> is his avowed intention to *reject* any new style files that do not also
> behave as LaTeX2e packages/classes.

That's true, indeed. Of course, contributions to LaTeX2e should work
with LaTeX2e; I consider that an oxymoron. In LaTeX2e there is no
such thing as a style file, by the way. LaTeX 2.09 style files are
found in the CTAN area macros/latex/contrib/.

Please note, that there's also the unmoderated
macros/latex2e/contrib/other/ CTAN area for further contributions to
LaTeX2e. As always, CTAN should be regarded as the definitive place
for TeX software; your distribution point of choice.

> I think this is a serious issue for LaTeX

I think so as well. I hope that a moderated area for LaTeX2e packages
and classes will raise the level of quality you can expect to get. I
hope that we're providing an enhanced service for the TeX user
community at large, eventually. Of course, if assessments will show
that this is not the case, decisions will have to be discussed again.

Cheers,
        Joachim

PS: I would like to thank Klaus Guntermann who pointed out Mike Piff's
    mail to me -- I've stopped wasting my time by reading his tirades
    about those who try to work for the TeX community.

Joachim Schrod                  Email: [email-masked]
Computer Science Department
Technical University of Darmstadt, Germany

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 20 Feb 1994 20:54:12 +0000
From:    Bob Margolis <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: postscript fonts

Far be it for me to disagree with Sebastian (but I'm going to). The marginal
cost of my time (to my institution) is ZERO. This may be
unpalatable/unsatisfactory and/or unThatcherite, but it is still true.

However, faster machines cost money - real money- and to fail to understand thi
s
is false accounting too.

Pace - I too find Ghostscript essentially bug free and I DO run a `slow' DOS
machine (albeit I have exclusive use of it which I wouldn't have with a `real
person's' machine.

Bob M

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 21 Feb 1994 10:55:37 +0000
From:    "John M. Simmie, University College, Galway, Ireland" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Rotating too wide for a4 portrait table into landscape

Is there a way of rotating just a table(s) into landscape within an
A4 portrait document --- via LaTeX?
 
The table may occupy the whole page so we can workaround by printing
twice over but this is not desirable ...
 
John Simmie

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 23 Feb 1994 11:41:00 +0000
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: TeX memory limitations

I am using TeX to generate music output and am hitting a memory problem. Up
to about 2/3rds of a page of output things work fine, but when attempting
to do a full page, I crash out.

I have looked at all the obvious system parameters, and the failure occurs
even when running under 'SYSTEM'.

Can you help at all?

The log file  follows:

************************************************

This is TeX, Vax/VMS Version 2.9 (preloaded format=plain 88.3.12)  23 FEB 1994 
11:24
**music
($1$DIA2:[QLTV.MUSIC]MUSIC.TEX;18 ($1$DIA2:[QLTV.MUSIC]MUSICNFT.TEX;1
Version 4.98 -- August 3rd, 1993) ($1$DIA2:[QLTV.MUSIC]MUSICTEX.TEX;1
Version 4.98 -- October 2nd, 1993) ($1$DIA2:[QLTV.MUSIC]MUSICVBM.TEX;1
\s@lopenum=\count94
\the@pitch=\count95
\b@eamlength=\dimen124
)
($1$DIA2:[QLTV.MUSIC]MUSICTRP.TEX;1) ($1$DIA2:[QLTV.MUSIC]ZMACROS.TEX;1)
($1$DIA2:[QLTV.MUSIC]HEADER.TEX;1)
********** Shillinavogy *******************************************************
bar 1 bar 2 bar 3 bar 4 bar 5 bar 6 bar 7 bar 8 bar 9 bar 10 bar 11 bar 12
bar 13 bar 14 bar 15 bar 16 bar 17
********** Gan Ainm ***********************************************************
bar 1 bar 2 bar 3 bar 4 bar 5 bar 6 bar 7 bar 8 bar 9 bar 10 bar 11 bar 12
bar 13 bar 14 bar 15 bar 16 bar 17 bar 18
********** Gan Ainm ***********************************************************
bar 1 bar 2 bar 3 bar 4 bar 5 bar 6 bar 7 bar 8 bar 9 bar 10 bar 11 bar 12
bar 13 bar 14
********** Gan Ainm ***********************************************************
bar 1 bar 2 bar 3 bar 4 bar 5 bar 6 bar 7 bar 8 bar 9 bar 10
! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [main memory size=65501].
<recently read> }
                 
\h@dslur ...\ch@box =\hbox {\slurnorfont \char 31}
                                                  \ifdim \wd \ch@box >\y@v \...
<argument> ...@width {\hss \hdslur {1.4\qn@width }
                                                  \hss }
\xcharnote ...}\pl@base \raise \y@i \hbox to #1{#3
                                                  \hss }
\alt@suite ->\relax \Xdfl {i{}}
                               \getn@i {i{}}
\xgetn@i ...n@iletter {#1}\else \getn@inonlet {#1}
                                                  \fi \global \n@raise =\z@ 
\qu@z #1->\getn@i {#1}
                      \def \n@fon {\qu }\def \n@sym {\q@u }\g@qu 
l.153 ...}{k}{m}{k}\rolls\Zlbb{l}{i}\rolls\Zud{<i}
                                                  \enotes
If you really absolutely need more capacity,
you can ask a wizard to enlarge me.

No pages of output.

**********************************************************

Thanks for your time,

Bernie Stocks

Bernard Stocks                  Phones:                             
Computing Officer                      0232 249670
University of Ulster at Belfast        0232 365131 Ex 3277
York Street                     Fax:
Belfast BT15 1ED                       0232 321048

[email-masked]              [email-masked]               :

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 23 Feb 1994 12:11:32 +0000
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: PostScript virtual fonts

I'm interested in using Garamond with LaTeX.  I see that the Archive
holds virtual font files for garamond under fonts/postscript
(pgm*.vf)

At the UKTUG meeting on 19/1/94, we were told (and shown) how
different foundry's versions of the same typeface have large variations
[William Sharman's talk with reference to (incidentally) garamond].
So my question is which foundary's version of Garamond was used
as the basis of the virtual font files in the Archive?

The archive has the following pgm* files.  Is the following interpretation
of the Karl Berry naming scheme right in this case?

pgmb   - garamond bold
pgmbi  - garamond bold italic
pgml   - garamond light
pgmlc  - garamond light small caps
pgmli  - garamond light italic
pgmlo  - garamond light oblique

AFL

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 24 Feb 1994 13:02:21 +0000
From:    Nigel Chapman <[email-masked]>
Subject: What is AUCTeX?

I have seen people referring to this, and can gather that it's an emacs
mode for editing tex (or is it latex only?) source.  Can someone tell
me, though, exactly what it offers?  All the stuff in the archive is
gzipped and I don't want to get it all and unzip it only to find it's
not worth it.

Two subjective questions I'd like opinions on:

is AUCTeX (am I even spelling it right?) worth learning to use emacs
for (to a nearly 15years vi user)?

is it the sort of thing that might make life easy for novice (student)
latex users?

Thanks for any info & apologies for my ignorance.

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 25 Feb 1994 10:30:41 +0000
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Postscript versions of LaTeX line and Circle fonts.

I have received a letter asking if copies of Postscript versions of the 
LaTeX Line and Circle fonts are available.

1. Are they?
2. If so are they Public Domain (I seem to remember TeXtures having postscript
versions of fonts).

Peter

------------------------------
                                        
                       UK TeX ARCHIVE at ASTON UNIVERSITY
                              >>>  UK.AC.TEX  <<<
                                        
                  *** Interactive and file transfer access ***
                                     JANET:
                          uk.ac.tex (DTE 000020120091)
                       Username: public, Password: public
                                   Internet:
              tex.ac.uk [134.151.79.28] -- telnet/rlogin, anonymous ftp
             ftp.tex.ac.uk [134.151.79.32] -- anonymous ftp, gopher, NFS
               For telnet access, login: public, password: public
      For anonymous ftp, login: anonymous, password: <your-e-mail-address>
                                        
                              *** Mail server ***
                        Send mail to [email-masked]
                   with message body containing the word HELP
                                        
\section FILES OF INTEREST

    [tex-archive]00readme.txt
    [tex-archive]00index.files        [tex-archive]0000index.zip_vve
    [tex-archive]00last7days.files    [tex-archive]00last7days.zip_vve
    [tex-archive]00last30days.files   [tex-archive]00last30days.zip_vve

    [tex-archive.doc]TeX-FAQ.txt    (Frequently Asked Questions list)
    [tex-archive.doc]FAQ-Supplement-*.txt    (FAQ supplement)

\section DIGESTS

    This year's UKTeX back issues are stored in the archive in directory
      [tex-archive.digests.uktex.93]
    This year's TeXhax back issues are stored in the archive in directory
      [tex-archive.digests.texhax.93]
      Latest TeXhax: V94 #01

\section MEDIA DISTRIBUTIONS
    Postal addresses are given below.

\subsection Washington Unix TeX distribution tape
    Our latest copy of May/June 1991 contains:
    TeX 3.14, LaTeX 2.09, Metafont 2.7, plus many utilities
    suitable for Unix 4.2/4.3BSD & System V
    tar format, 1 file (36Mb)

    Send One Quarter-Inch Cartridge, QIC-120 or QIC-150 format
    (DC600A or DC6150) with envelope AND stamps for return
    postage to David Osborne (address below); due to currency
    exchange, this service is offered only within the UK.

\section TeX IMPLEMENTATIONS FOR SMALL COMPUTERS

\subsection PC and Mac disks

    From January 1994 the UK TeX Users' Group is distributing an
    emTeX kit for PCs, and an OzTeX kit for Macintosh. The cost
    covers copying and postage costs, and the shareware fee for
    OzTeX.  Each set costs \pounds30, and is available from
    Peter Abbott, 1 Eymore Close, Selly Oak, Birmingham B29 4LB.
    Cheques must be payable to `UKTUG'. Please note that this
    service **is available to UKTUG members only.**

    Each set comes with an installation guide, and (at least)
    full TeX and Metafont, a previewer, a PostScript driver, and
    CM fonts. Two update disks a year will be sent out
    automatically, with the current version of LaTeXe, and other
    goodies. A subscription service will be available for
    subsequent years. In addition, subscribers can request up to
    3 disks a year with any material from the CTAN archives, but
    this will be supplied `as is', without instructions.

    OzTeX and emTeX are also available on disk from TeX Users Group;
    mail TUG for details.

\subsection TeX for the Atari ST

    Enquiries for TeX for the Atari ST etc. can be directed to:
    The Fast Club, 7 Musters Road, Nottingham NG2 7PP. Phone
    0602 455250, fax 0602 455305. They also supply a variety of
    TeX-related software in Atari format.

    Enquiries for disks etc. can also be directed to:
    The South West Software Library, P.O. Box 562, Wimborne, Dorset BH21 2YD
    Internet: [email-masked]

\section POSTAGE RATES
    Quarter-inch cartridges:
            UK: 1.00,  Europe: 2.00.

\section POSTAL ADDRESSES
    Please include SELF-ADDRESSED ADHESIVE LABELS for return postage.

    Peter Abbott
    Information Systems, Aston University, Aston Triangle, Birmingham B4 7ET
    Internet: [email-masked]

    David Osborne
    Cripps Computing Centre, University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 2RD
    (for Unix cartridges ONLY -- must include stamps for return postage)
    Internet: [email-masked]

    TeX Users Group
    P.O. Box 869, Santa Barbara, CA 93102, USA.
    Internet: [email-masked]
    
\section UK TeX USERS GROUP
    Details available from
    Jonathan Fine, 203 Coldhams Lane, Cambridge CB1 3HY, UK
    or from
    Internet: [email-masked]

\bye

End of UKTeX Digest [Volume 94 Issue 8]
***************************************