Subject: UKTeX Digest V94 #16
From: [email-masked]
To: UKTeX Distribution: ;
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 1994 15:09:46 +0100

UKTeX Digest    Friday, 22 Apr 1994    Volume 94 : Issue 16

   ``The UKTeX Digest is brought to you as a free, unfunded and voluntary
        service of the UK TeX Users Group and the UK TeX Archive.''

Today's Topics:
 {Questions & Answers}:
                  \newmathalphabet problem in LaTeX
        Can't find dir TEX-ARCHIVE.LATEX.CONTRIB.PUBLICATIONS
      RE: Can't find dir TEX-ARCHIVE.LATEX.CONTRIB.PUBLICATIONS

Administrivia:
    Moderators:     Peter Abbott (Aston University) and
                    David Osborne (University of Nottingham)
    Contributions:  [email-masked]
    Administration, subscription and unsubscription requests:
                    [email-masked]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 20 Apr 1994 11:29:00 +0000
From:    "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: \newmathalphabet problem in LaTeX

Peter,

We at QUB are presently running TEX 3.14b. We have run into a problem
with the lines:
\newmathalphabet*{\mtf}{cmr}{b}{n}
\newmathalphabet*{\mtt}{cmtt}{m}{n}
which originated from Lucerne,Geneva.

Here is the error message.

$ latex fja361b.tex
This is Northlake Convergent TeX, V3.14b-1 (preloaded format=lplain 92.4.8)
(_DUB2:[CCG0661]FJA361B.TEX;1
LaTeX Version 2.09 <14 January 1991>
(PACKDISK4:[QUBPACK.TEX.TEX3_14B.][INPUTS]ARTICLE.STY;1
Document Style `article' <16 Mar 88>.
(PACKDISK4:[QUBPACK.TEX.TEX3_14B.][INPUTS]ART12.STY;1))
! Undefined control sequence.
l.34 \newmathalphabet
                     *{\mbf}{cmr}{b}{n}
? h
The control sequence at the end of the top line
of your error message was never \def'ed. If you have
misspelled it (e.g., `\hobx'), type `I' and the correct
spelling (e.g., `I\hbox'). Otherwise just continue,
and I'll forget about whatever was undefined.

?

Here is the section of the file giving the error.

%define math alphabets for roman, boldface and teletype
\newcommand{\mrm}[1]{\mathrm{#1}}
\newmathalphabet*{\mbf}{cmr}{b}{n}
\newmathalphabet*{\mtt}{cmtt}{m}{n}

%program names
\newcommand{\Py}{\mbox{\sc Pythia}}
\newcommand{\Je}{\mbox{\sc Jetset}}
\newcommand{\PyJe}{\mbox{\sc Pythia/Jetset}}
\newcommand{\JePy}{\mbox{\sc Jetset/Pythia}}

%some frequent physics symbols
\newcommand{\alphas}{\alpha_{\mrm{s}}}
\newcommand{\alphaem}{\alpha_{\mrm{em}}}
\newcommand{\ssintw}{\sin^2 \! \theta_W}
\newcommand{\scostw}{\cos^2 \! \theta_W}
\newcommand{\pT}{p_{\perp}}
\newcommand{\pTmin}{p_{\perp\mrm{min}}}
\newcommand{\br}[1]{\overline{#1}}

Perhaps there are files in the archive which we need to pull over? 
I cannot trace the \newmathalphabet* command in our guides.

Colin

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 20 Apr 1994 13:55:45 +0200
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Can't find dir TEX-ARCHIVE.LATEX.CONTRIB.PUBLICATIONS

Hello,

I would like to submit a paper to a journal called "Formal aspects of
computing". They say I need files fac.sty and facguide.tex, to be found on
the Aston Tex archive at tex.ac.uk on JANET, in directory
[TEX-ARCHIVE.LATEX.CONTRIB.PUBLICATIONS].
I successfully made an anonymous ftp connection from my site
(wsinis12.info.win.tue.nl) to tex.ac.uk. Then a cd to directory TEX-ARCHIVE
succeeded, however, there was no subdirectory LATEX.
There was a directory TEX, but it didn't have a subdir CONTRIB.

Question: How can I get files fac.sty and facguide.tex?

Kind regards,   Paul Rambags.

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 20 Apr 1994 13:44:25 -0000
From:    P Taylor (Postmaster) <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: Can't find dir TEX-ARCHIVE.LATEX.CONTRIB.PUBLICATIONS

>> Question: How can I get files fac.sty and facguide.tex?

FTP to your nearest CTAN site (e.g. ftp.tex.ac.uk);
cd CTAN:
cd macros/latex/contrib/fac

get what you need.

                                ** Phil.

------------------------------
                                        
                       UK TeX Archive at Aston University
                            >>>  ftp.tex.ac.uk  <<<
                                        
                                   Internet:
             ftp.tex.ac.uk [134.151.79.32] -- anonymous ftp, gopher, NFS
      For anonymous ftp, login: anonymous, password: <your-e-mail-address>
                                       
\section Files of Interest

    tex-archive/00Contents
    tex-archive/FILES.bydate
    tex-archive/FILES.byname
    tex-archive/FILES.byname_diff
    tex-archive/FILES.bysize
    tex-archive/MAP
    tex-archive/README.archive-features
    tex-archive/README.site-commands
    tex-archive/README.uploads

\section Digests

    This year's UKTeX back issues are stored in the archive in directory
      tex-archive/digests/uktex/94
    This year's TeXhax back issues are stored in the archive in directory
      tex-archive/digests/texhax/94
      Latest TeXhax: V94 #03

\section Media Distributions
    Postal addresses are given below.

\subsection Washington Unix TeX distribution tape
    Our latest copy of May/June 1991 contains:
    TeX 3.14, LaTeX 2.09, Metafont 2.7, plus many utilities
    suitable for Unix 4.2/4.3BSD & System V
    tar format, 1 file (36Mb)

    Send One Quarter-Inch Cartridge, QIC-120 or QIC-150 format
    (DC600A or DC6150) with envelope AND stamps for return
    postage to David Osborne (address below); due to currency
    exchange, this service is offered only within the UK.

\section TeX Implementations for Small Computers

\subsection PC and Mac disks

    From January 1994 the UK TeX Users' Group is distributing an
    emTeX kit for PCs, and an OzTeX kit for Macintosh. The cost
    covers copying and postage costs, and the shareware fee for
    OzTeX.  Each set costs \pounds30, and is available from
    Peter Abbott, 1 Eymore Close, Selly Oak, Birmingham B29 4LB.
    Cheques must be payable to `UKTUG'. Please note that this
    service **is available to UKTUG members only.**

    Each set comes with an installation guide, and (at least)
    full TeX and Metafont, a previewer, a PostScript driver, and
    CM fonts. Two update disks a year will be sent out
    automatically, with the current version of LaTeXe, and other
    goodies. A subscription service will be available for
    subsequent years. In addition, subscribers can request up to
    3 disks a year with any material from the CTAN archives, but
    this will be supplied `as is', without instructions.

    OzTeX and emTeX are also available on disk from TeX Users Group;
    mail TUG for details.

\subsection TeX for the Atari ST

    Enquiries for TeX for the Atari ST etc. can be directed to:
    The Fast Club, 7 Musters Road, Nottingham NG2 7PP. Phone
    0602 455250, fax 0602 455305. They also supply a variety of
    TeX-related software in Atari format.

    Enquiries for disks etc. can also be directed to:
    The South West Software Library, P.O. Box 562, Wimborne, Dorset BH21 2YD
    Internet: [email-masked]

\section Postage Rates

    Quarter-inch cartridges: UK: GBP 1.00,  Europe: GBP 2.00.

\section Postal Addresses

    Please include SELF-ADDRESSED ADHESIVE LABELS for return postage.

    Peter Abbott
    Information Systems, Aston University, Aston Triangle, Birmingham B4 7ET
    Internet: [email-masked]

    David Osborne
    Cripps Computing Centre, University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 2RD
    (for Unix cartridges ONLY -- must include stamps for return postage)
    Internet: [email-masked]

    TeX Users Group
    P.O. Box 869, Santa Barbara, CA 93102, USA.
    Internet: [email-masked]
    
\section UK TeX Users Group

    Details available from
    Jonathan Fine, 203 Coldhams Lane, Cambridge CB1 3HY, UK
    or from
    Internet: [email-masked]
    or from
    World-Wide Web server: http://ftp.tex.ac.uk/UKTUG/home.html

\bye

End of UKTeX Digest [Volume 94 Issue 16]
****************************************