Subject: UKTeX Digest V94 #18
From: [email-masked]
To: UKTeX Distribution: ;
Date: Fri, 06 May 1994 16:35:59 +0100

UKTeX Digest    Friday,  6 May 1994    Volume 94 : Issue 18

   ``The UKTeX Digest is brought to you as a free, unfunded and voluntary
        service of the UK TeX Users Group and the UK TeX Archive.''

Today's Topics:
 {Questions & Answers}:
                  Wish to download EMTEX for MS-DOS
                           TeX for VAX/VMS?
                          Raising awareness
                            integral sign
                                dvidvi
                               MetaPost

Administrivia:
    Moderators:     Peter Abbott (Aston University) and
                    David Osborne (University of Nottingham)
    Contributions:  [email-masked]
    Administration, subscription and unsubscription requests:
                    [email-masked]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 27 Apr 1994 19:52:00 +0530
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Wish to download EMTEX for MS-DOS

    We had earlier used EMTEX and were conversant with it. We lost
the files in a disk crash. We therefore need to get a copy of EMTEX
for MS-DOS. we are not experts in ftp, file down load, etc.
we know how to login via ftp. We accessed tex.ac.uk  but
could not make out which files to down load for EMTeX. 
Have you deleted EMTEX from your archives? We find that
(from your help file) EMTEX could be obtained on 3 1/2 disks.
But we prefer to down load here via ftp. Please let us 
know if this is possible; how to do it and WHICH FILES
we should down load. In case, EMTEX is not availble, please
advise (even in that case) which files we should down load
so as to have a working TEX system. We have a POSTSCRIPT laser
printer and EPSON LQ2500. We would need drivers for these
(dvi2ps and dvi2eps)

Thanking you,
yours sincerely
Chandan Mazumdar
(e-mail address: [email-masked])

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 01 May 1994 17:07:58 -0305
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: TeX for VAX/VMS?

How can I install TeX on VAX/VMS by tex-archive ? Please help me.
 
                                                Best regards,
                                                H. Dehghani

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 03 May 1994 10:35:00 +0100
From:    R."R." Allan Reese <[email-masked]>
Subject: Raising awareness

I have a letter published in The Daily Telegraph today on the
subject of character sets and computers. My letter of course
named TeX.  The Editor has unfortunately balked at the logo,
or at a name he didn't know, and has substituted "a character
text system" - whatever that means.

- -- 
(R.) Allan Reese        Janet: [email-masked]
Head of Applications    Direct voice:    +44 482 465296
Computer Centre         Voice messages:  +44 482 465685
Hull University         Fax:             +44 482 466441
Hull HU6 7RX, U.K.

------------------------------

Date:    03 May 1994 09:47:06 -0000
From:    N Mooljee <[email-masked]>
Subject: integral sign

Can anyone advise me how to alter size of the integral sign INDEPENDENTLY
of the integrand in TeX/LateX ?

Naresh Mooljee

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 03 May 1994 10:31:46 -0000
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: dvidvi

There is a copy of dvidvi in the file dvidvi.sit.hqx

in

pub/archive/systems/mac/dvidvi.sit.hqx

I have tried it with OzTeX 1.6 and cannot make it work. There are no instructio
ns.

has anyone used it and made it wirk? If so please can you assist.

Thanks

peter

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 03 May 1994 15:53:02 +0000
From:    ZA9RA01 <[email-masked]>
Subject: MetaPost

Does anyone know if there is likely to be in the near future a public
domain "interpreter/compiler" under DOS or Unix for the MetaPost
programming language. I have retrieved a copy of the user's manual 
from [email-masked] and would like to try it out.

Thanks

        Bill Peel
        
        Bill Peel         |  Computing Services
[email-masked]  |  Manchester Metropolitan University
                  |  Chester Street, Manchester M1 5GD, England

------------------------------
                                        
                       UK TeX Archive at Aston University
                            >>>  ftp.tex.ac.uk  <<<
                                        
                                   Internet:
             ftp.tex.ac.uk [134.151.79.32] -- anonymous ftp, gopher, NFS
      For anonymous ftp, login: anonymous, password: <your-e-mail-address>
                                       
\section Files of Interest

    tex-archive/00Contents
    tex-archive/FILES.bydate
    tex-archive/FILES.byname
    tex-archive/FILES.byname_diff
    tex-archive/FILES.bysize
    tex-archive/MAP
    tex-archive/README.archive-features
    tex-archive/README.site-commands
    tex-archive/README.uploads

\section Digests

    This year's UKTeX back issues are stored in the archive in directory
      tex-archive/digests/uktex/94
    This year's TeXhax back issues are stored in the archive in directory
      tex-archive/digests/texhax/94
      Latest TeXhax: V94 #02

\section Media Distributions
    Postal addresses are given below.

\subsection Washington Unix TeX distribution tape
    Our latest copy of May/June 1991 contains:
    TeX 3.14, LaTeX 2.09, Metafont 2.7, plus many utilities
    suitable for Unix 4.2/4.3BSD & System V
    tar format, 1 file (36Mb)

    Send One Quarter-Inch Cartridge, QIC-120 or QIC-150 format
    (DC600A or DC6150) with envelope AND stamps for return
    postage to David Osborne (address below); due to currency
    exchange, this service is offered only within the UK.

\section TeX Implementations for Small Computers

\subsection PC and Mac disks

    From January 1994 the UK TeX Users' Group is distributing an
    emTeX kit for PCs, and an OzTeX kit for Macintosh. The cost
    covers copying and postage costs, and the shareware fee for
    OzTeX.  Each set costs \pounds30, and is available from
    Peter Abbott, 1 Eymore Close, Selly Oak, Birmingham B29 4LB.
    Cheques must be payable to `UKTUG'. Please note that this
    service **is available to UKTUG members only.**

    Each set comes with an installation guide, and (at least)
    full TeX and Metafont, a previewer, a PostScript driver, and
    CM fonts. Two update disks a year will be sent out
    automatically, with the current version of LaTeXe, and other
    goodies. A subscription service will be available for
    subsequent years. In addition, subscribers can request up to
    3 disks a year with any material from the CTAN archives, but
    this will be supplied `as is', without instructions.

    OzTeX and emTeX are also available on disk from TeX Users Group;
    mail TUG for details.

\subsection TeX for the Atari ST

    Enquiries for TeX for the Atari ST etc. can be directed to:
    The Fast Club, 7 Musters Road, Nottingham NG2 7PP. Phone
    0602 455250, fax 0602 455305. They also supply a variety of
    TeX-related software in Atari format.

    Enquiries for disks etc. can also be directed to:
    The South West Software Library, P.O. Box 562, Wimborne, Dorset BH21 2YD
    Internet: [email-masked]

\section Postage Rates

    Quarter-inch cartridges: UK: GBP 1.00,  Europe: GBP 2.00.

\section Postal Addresses

    Please include SELF-ADDRESSED ADHESIVE LABELS for return postage.

    Peter Abbott
    Information Systems, Aston University, Aston Triangle, Birmingham B4 7ET
    Internet: [email-masked]

    David Osborne
    Cripps Computing Centre, University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 2RD
    (for Unix cartridges ONLY -- must include stamps for return postage)
    Internet: [email-masked]

    TeX Users Group
    P.O. Box 869, Santa Barbara, CA 93102, USA.
    Internet: [email-masked]
    
\section UK TeX Users Group

    Details available from
    Jonathan Fine, 203 Coldhams Lane, Cambridge CB1 3HY, UK
    or from
    Internet: [email-masked]
    or from
    World-Wide Web server: http://ftp.tex.ac.uk/UKTUG/home.html

\bye

End of UKTeX Digest [Volume 94 Issue 18]
****************************************