Subject: UKTeX Digest V94 #25
From: [email-masked]
To: UKTeX Distribution: ;
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 1994 15:37:08 +0100

UKTeX Digest    Friday,  8 Jul 1994    Volume 94 : Issue 25

   ``The UKTeX Digest is brought to you as a free, unfunded and voluntary
        service of the UK TeX Users Group and the UK TeX Archive.''

Today's Topics:
 {Questions & Answers}:
     File handle problems with betatest emTeX and Novell Netware
   re: File handle problems with betatest emTeX and Novell Netware
                           Helvetica fonts?
                         Re: Helvetica fonts?
                          Re: Making slides
                    NFS problems to ftp.tex.ac.uk
                  Re: NFS problems to ftp.tex.ac.uk
 {Announcements}:
              Announcing babel version 3.4 patch level 1
               Announcement of UKTUG AGM and elections
                  ANNOUNCEMENT: Move of UK CTAN node

Administrivia:
    Moderators:     Peter Abbott (Aston University) and
                    David Osborne (University of Nottingham)
    Contributions:  [email-masked]
    Administration, subscription and unsubscription requests:
                    [email-masked]

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    29 Jun 1994 16:38:27
From:    Mike Piff <[email-masked]>
Subject: File handle problems with betatest emTeX and Novell Netware

Has anyone else experienced file handle problems running the latest betatest
of emTeX on a Novell network? The problems we are experiencing are

- -- TeX cannot open a TeX file in the current directory, even though it
    could on the last run.

- -- cannot write to xxx.log

- -- cannot write to xxx.dvi

- -- cannot open/write to xxx.aux

Usually the first such error causes TeX to enter its infinite loop, and a
reboot is essential, as any other filename gives the same result.

Note also that the problem occurs even when working on c: with megabytes
to spare, and neither temp nor tmp pointing at the network drives.

When the problem occurs in a DOS shell from MS Windows, an attempt at exiting
from windows causes a shutdown, as DOS says it has run out of file handles.
We start with files=48 (+16) on our network.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Mike Piff

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%% Dr M J Piff, School of Mathematics and Statistics, University of %%
%% Sheffield, UK.                    e-mail: [email-masked] %%
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

------------------------------

Date:    07 Jul 1994 15:51:32
From:    Mike Piff <[email-masked]>
Subject: re: File handle problems with betatest emTeX and Novell Netware

Not really a problem with emTeX after all, but with DOS.

Some of my files contained the combination

call xxx > nul

where xxx might be an .exe file.  n repetitions of that causes DOS to get
screwed up, in that it loses all its file handles, where n is as set in

FILES=n

in config.sys or its equivalent. Nothing will then work correctly!

(EM says that OS/2 does not display this "feature".)

Mike Piff

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 30 Jun 1994 09:44:17 +0000
From:    [email-masked] (Tom Wright)
Subject: Helvetica fonts?

I'm trying to understand how to use helvetica fonts
for my chapter headings

Can anybody help

I have something called helvetica.sty from CTAN
but dont know how to use it?

------------------------------

Date:    30 Jun 1994 10:55:26 +0000
From:    [email-masked] (Robin Fairbairns)
Subject: Re: Helvetica fonts?

In article <[email-masked]>,
Tom Wright <[email-masked]> wrote:
>[...]
>I have something called helvetica.sty from CTAN
>but dont know how to use it?

Where on CTAN did it come from?  When? (there's been an upheaval of the
LaTeX-related macros recently)  Which version of LaTeX are you using?

The basic answer to your question is that you need

a) a macro or two to request helvetica
b) some .tfm files to enable TeX to do the setting
c) some .vf files to enable the dvi->ps process to map the TeX
   character set to the postscript one
d) a dvi->ps converter that can be persuaded to use resident fonts

If you're using current LaTeX (2e), there's a canned solution for the
whole job on CTAN (macros/latex/packages/psnfss and
fonts/metrics/adobe/helvetic); if your site isn't up to date, you're
rather more completely on your own...
- --
Robin (Campaign for Real Radio 3) Fairbairns       [email-masked]
U of Cambridge Computer Lab, Pembroke St, Cambridge  CB2 3QG, UK
Private page: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/rf/robin.html

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 01 Jul 1994 14:40:42 +0000
From:    Sebastian Rahtz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Making slides

Richard Walker writes:
 > What now are my options for slide-making using 2e?
 > Do I have any, besides the standard slide style?
 > (FoilTeX and tvz's seminar are not yet updated for 2e,
 > as far as I can tell.)

its pretty trivial to update seminar yourself. i did so in about 10
minutes, but TvZ asks that people not distribute patched copies as he
wants to do it properly himself. well worth the effort, IMHO
 
sebastian

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 08 Jul 1994 13:52:15 -0000
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: NFS problems to ftp.tex.ac.uk

I used to mount the archive from ftp.tex.ac.uk:/work/ftp/pub/archive
but just lately this has stopped working.  Showmount -d indicates
that the export directory is "/public/ctan/archive" but that has 
as contents only one entry, "Archive directory", which is a symlink 
to "../tex-archive".

What is the correct mount point for the archive?

Thanks,

AFL

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 08 Jul 1994 14:10:02 +0100
From:    David Osborne <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: NFS problems to ftp.tex.ac.uk 

Andy,

> I used to mount the archive from ftp.tex.ac.uk:/work/ftp/pub/archive
> but just lately this has stopped working.
> What is the correct mount point for the archive?

There's an important announcement concerning the UK TeX Archive and
its relocation today from Aston to Cambridge.  See below.

~~David Osborne (UKTeX Digest editor)

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 01 Jul 1994 23:47:44 +0200
From:    "Johannes L. Braams" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Announcing babel version 3.4 patch level 1

        Hello,

        On CTAN, in the directory macros/latex/packages/babel the
        latest version of babel, version 3.4 patch level 1 has been
        made available.
        This version of the babel system has been upgraded for use
        with LaTeX2e. Yet it can (again) also be used with plain TeX.
        Patch level 1 fixes a problem with \lefthyphenmin and
        \righthyphenmin. They didn't get their proper values in the
        earlier release. Also some incompatibilities with plain TeX
        have been removed.

        Version 3.4 patch level 1 is not compatible with T1 output
        encoding, some of the language specific files may give
        unecpected results with T1.

        The support for typesetting in russian that was available in
        versions 3.3 and earlier has (temporarily) been withdrawn in
        versino 3.4. I need someone to help me with that.

        Happy TeXing,

        Johannes Braams

PTT Research,                           P.O. box 421,
2260 AK Leidschendam,                   The Netherlands.
Phone    : +31 70 3325051               E-mail : [email-masked]
Fax      : +31 70 3326477

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 06 Jul 1994 10:25:55 -0000
From:    R A Bailey <[email-masked]>
Subject: Announcement of UKTUG AGM and elections

                         Annual General Meeting

The Annual General Meeting of the UKTUG  will be held on the
morning of Wednesday 19~October 1994 at the University of Warwick, 
in the Staff Club `Quiet Room' in Rootes Building.

The  Constitution contains the following clauses:

17.  The annual general meeting of the UKTUG shall be held in the 
United Kingdom not later than the last day of November in each year 
on a date and at a time to be fixed by the Committee and notified 
to members at least 35 days in advance for the following purposes---

(1) to receive from the Committee a report balance sheet and statement of
accounts for the preceding financial year

(2) to fill the vacancies in the Committee and to appoint auditors for the
ensuing year

(3) to decide on any motion which may be proposed to the meeting in the
manner provided below

(4) to fix the entrance fee (if any) and annual subscription

18.  Any member desirous of proposing any motion at the
annual general meeting shall give notice in writing to the secretary not
later than 14 days before the date of such meeting

23.  No amendment (other than a motion for adjournment) shall be moved to any 
motion proposed at any annual or special general meeting unless written notice 
of the amendment shall have been sent to the secretary prior to the meeting

I think that Clauses 17(3), 18 and 23 are self-explanatory.

A draft agenda, covering items~(3) and~(4), will appear in Baskerville 4.4. 
In the meantime, anyone wishing to propose any motion to the AGM must send 
me, in writing, the text of the proposed motion and their own name and
address, to reach me by 5~October 1994.  If there are any changes to the 
draft agenda, the final agenda will be sent to members in the 14 days before 
the AGM. 

As for vacancies on the Committee, C. A. Rowley will continue as Chair in 
1994--94 and P. Abbott as Treasurer and Membership Secretary. 
Clause 10 of the Constitution implies that at most 3 other 
members of the present Committee may continue without being re-elected.
Thus Clause 9 implies that there are up to 7 vacancies to be filled.

The following parts of Clause 10  describe the procedure for
filling these vacancies:

(3) Any two members who are individuals may nominate  any member or 
members of the group who are individuals to fill any of the vacancies 
by giving at least 7~days notice in writing to the secretary

(4) If there are more nominations than vacancies then the membership
will be decided by an election by single transferable vote in which
every member of the UKTUG who is an individual and is present at the 
annual general meeting shall be entitled but not obliged to vote

Nominations for committee members in accordance with the above
sub-clauses are thus being sought.  Written nominations for new committee
members should be sent to me, to reach me by 12~October 1994. 
There is no official nomination form.   If you like, you may use the 
forms provided in Baskerville 4.3.  Otherwise, what you send me should 
contain, clearly and legibly,

             ---name and address of nominee
             ---declaration that (s)he is willing to stand for this
                office, signed by the nominee
             ---name and address of the nominator
             ---statement nominating the nominee, signed by the
                nominator
             ---name and address of seconder
             ---statement in support of the nomination, signed by
                the seconder.

The nominee, nominator and seconder should all be members of the UKTUG, 
and the last two should be different from each other.

Once elected, the Committee appoints officers from its membership. 
Your present secretary is retiring (forced to under Clause 10(1)) and 
there is at present no Publicity person.  Anyone with talents for either 
of these jobs is strongly encouraged to stand for election to the Committee.

In all the above, `in writing' means `on paper', not email.

Please put `UKTUG' on the outside of the envelope when you send me any 
of the above.   Otherwise, people may find themselves elected to the 
wrong committee.

My address is

Department of Mathematical Studies
Goldsmiths' College
New Cross
London SE14 6NW

until 31 August 1994; and

School of Mathematical Sciences
Queen Mary and Westfield College
Mile End Road
London E1 4NS

from 1 September 1994.

R. A. Bailey, Honorary Secretary, UK TeX Users' Group

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 08 Jul 1994 10:25:07 +0100
From:    Robin Fairbairns <[email-masked]>
Subject: ANNOUNCEMENT: Move of UK CTAN node

The UK node of the Comprehensive TeX Archive Network changed its home
this morning (Friday 8 July, 1994), UK time -- it now resides on
machines at the University of Cambridge Computer Laboratory.

In parallel with the move, a number of new network names have been
generated, which distinguish the archive's different services.

To access the new archive, please use:

                    tex.ac.uk   for email
                www.tex.ac.uk   for www
                ftp.tex.ac.uk   for FTP [128.232.1.87]
                nfs.tex.ac.uk   for NFS
             gopher.tex.ac.uk   for gopher

The archive no longer provides:

 - a WAIS server,
 - an NIFTP (UK JANET coloured-book file transfer) service
   (coloured-book only sites within the UK should use the JANET
    NIFTP/ftp gateway),
 - public terminal access; browsing facilities are now only available
   via WWW, ftp or gopher.  The gopher service isn't quite what it
   was, but we'll be working on that.

The file system to mount on the new NFS service is
            nfs.tex.ac.uk:/public/ctan/tex-archive

ftp users should notice no change.  Any shortcomings in any of the
services should be reported by email to [email-masked]
- --
Robin (Campaign for Real Radio 3) Fairbairns       [email-masked]
U of Cambridge Computer Lab, Pembroke St, Cambridge  CB2 3QG, UK
Private page: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/rf/robin.html

------------------------------
                                        
                            UK TeX Archive
                         >>>  tex.ac.uk  <<<
         Part of the Comprehensive TeX Archive Network (CTAN)

                    ftp.tex.ac.uk -- anonymous ftp
 (For anonymous ftp, login: anonymous, password: <your-e-mail-address>)
                  gopher.tex.ac.uk -- Gopher access
                www.tex.ac.uk -- World-Wide Web access
                     nfs.tex.ac.uk -- NFS access

\section Files of Interest

    tex-archive/00Contents
    tex-archive/CTAN.sites
    tex-archive/FILES.bydate
    tex-archive/FILES.byname
    tex-archive/FILES.bysize
    tex-archive/MAP
    tex-archive/README.archive-features
    tex-archive/README.site-commands
    tex-archive/README.uploads

\section Digests

    This year's UKTeX back issues are stored in the archive in directory
      tex-archive/digests/uktex/94
    This year's TeXhax back issues are stored in the archive in directory
      tex-archive/digests/texhax/94
      Latest TeXhax: V94 #04

\section Media Distributions
    Postal addresses are given below.

\subsection Washington Unix TeX distribution tape
    Our latest copy of May/June 1991 contains:
    TeX 3.14, LaTeX 2.09, Metafont 2.7, plus many utilities
    suitable for Unix 4.2/4.3BSD & System V
    tar format, 1 file (36Mb)

    Send One Quarter-Inch Cartridge, QIC-120 or QIC-150 format
    (DC600A or DC6150) with envelope AND stamps for return
    postage to David Osborne (address below); regret that due to currency
    exchange difficulties, this service is offered only within the UK.

\section TeX Implementations for Small Computers

\subsection PC and Mac disks

    From January 1994 the UK TeX Users' Group is distributing an
    emTeX kit for PCs, and an OzTeX kit for Macintosh. The cost
    covers copying and postage costs, and the shareware fee for
    OzTeX.  Each set costs \pounds30, and is available from
    Peter Abbott, 1 Eymore Close, Selly Oak, Birmingham B29 4LB.
    Cheques must be payable to `UKTUG'. Please note that this
    service **is available to UKTUG members only.**

    Each set comes with an installation guide, and (at least)
    full TeX and Metafont, a previewer, a PostScript driver, and
    CM fonts. Two update disks a year will be sent out
    automatically, with the current version of LaTeXe, and other
    goodies. A subscription service will be available for
    subsequent years. In addition, subscribers can request up to
    3 disks a year with any material from the CTAN archives, but
    this will be supplied `as is', without instructions.

    OzTeX and emTeX are also available on disk from TeX Users Group;
    mail TUG for details.

\subsection TeX for the Atari ST

    Enquiries for TeX for the Atari ST etc. can be directed to:
    The Fast Club, 7 Musters Road, Nottingham NG2 7PP. Phone
    0602 455250, fax 0602 455305. They also supply a variety of
    TeX-related software in Atari format.

    Enquiries for disks etc. can also be directed to:
    The South West Software Library, P.O. Box 562, Wimborne, Dorset BH21 2YD
    Internet: [email-masked]

\section Postage Rates

    Quarter-inch cartridges: UK: GBP 1.00,  Europe: GBP 2.00.

\section Postal Addresses

    Please include SELF-ADDRESSED ADHESIVE LABELS for return postage.

    Peter Abbott
    Information Systems, Aston University, Aston Triangle, Birmingham B4 7ET
    Internet: [email-masked]

    David Osborne
    Cripps Computing Centre, University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 2RD
    (for Unix cartridges ONLY -- MUST include stamps for return postage)
    Internet: [email-masked]

    TeX Users Group
    P.O. Box 869, Santa Barbara, CA 93102, USA.
    Internet: [email-masked]
    
\section UK TeX Users Group

    Details available from
    Jonathan Fine, 203 Coldhams Lane, Cambridge CB1 3HY, UK
    or from
    Internet: [email-masked]
    or from
    World-Wide Web server: http://www.tex.ac.uk/UKTUG/home.html

\bye

End of UKTeX Digest [Volume 94 Issue 25]
****************************************