Subject: UKTeX Digest V94 #31
From: [email-masked]
To: UKTeX Distribution: ;
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 1994 10:49:05 +0100

UKTeX Digest    Monday, 22 Aug 1994    Volume 94 : Issue 31

Today's Topics:
                     Re: BibTeX field size limits
                                emtex
                              Re: emtex
                              Re: emtex
                 The status of the `uk.tex' newsgroup
                         Re: Where is vpage?
                           Where is vpage?
       A puzzle: multline environments in amstex (from LaTeX2e)
          EuroTeX '94: only two weeks left for registration!

Administrivia:
    Moderators:     Peter Abbott (Aston University) and
                    David Osborne (University of Nottingham)
    Contributions:  [email-masked]
    Subscription and unsubscription requests: [email-masked]
    (message body = "subscribe uktex" or "unsubscribe uktex", [no quotes])

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 13 Aug 1994 22:16:51 -0000
From:    [email-masked] (Niel Kempson)
Subject: Re: BibTeX field size limits

In UKTeX 94/30, Frank Bennett <[email-masked]> writes:

> Does anyone know whether it is possible to expand the field size
> limits in BibTeX?  I am preparing an annotated bibliography of
> Japanese commercial law cases, and the summary of facts for complex
> cases may run beyond the normal limit of 3,000 characters.

It is very possible :-)  I adapted my PC port of BibTeX to use Eberhard
Mattes's excellent EMX package and to take advantage of 32 bit virtual
memory under DOS and OS/2.  The result is huge capacities if you have the
memory and/or disk space.  The code should compile reasonably unscathed
under Unix or VAX/VMS too.

The current version has an input buffer of 6,000 bytes and a string
pool size of 400,000 bytes but you can easily redefine this.  A DOS or
OS/2 executable version is available from ftp.tex.ac.uk:

    tex-archive/biblio/bibtex/ms-dos/kempson/8bit-beta/bt301dos.zip
                                                       bt301os2.zip

These archives contain only the executables: e-mail me if you need the
sources.

Niel
- -- 
Dr C Niel Kempson
Snowy Owl Systems Limited,
25 Whitethorn Drive, Cheltenham GL52 5LL, England
E-mail: [email-masked] (Internet)

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 15 Aug 1994 17:30:44 +0000
From:    [email-masked] (Declan Kruppa)
Subject: emtex

i would like to download emtex from ftp.tex.ac.uk so that i could
use latex on a pc and drive a hp laserjet printer

could anyone tell me what i need to download, since it is so time
consuming and i have limited disk space i don't want to download lots of
superflous stuff, on logging into ftp.tex.ac.tex this information is 
not given. am i right in saying that i need to download all the .lj files
which i assume are laserjet fonts. 

thanks for any help

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 16 Aug 1994 09:49:10 +0000
From:    [email-masked] (Jake Palmer)
Subject: Re: emtex

Declan Kruppa ([email-masked]) wrote:
: i would like to download emtex from ftp.tex.ac.uk so that i could
: use latex on a pc and drive a hp laserjet printer

: could anyone tell me what i need to download, since it is so time
: consuming and i have limited disk space i don't want to download lots of
: superflous stuff, on logging into ftp.tex.ac.tex this information is 
: not given. am i right in saying that i need to download all the .lj files
: which i assume are laserjet fonts. 

Declan, You will need to start off with disc1 and disc2, download the whole
of them (use dynamic zip file creation---"get" disc1.zip, etc.), then
you can delete a few of the files, e.g. tex for other processors than yours,
other printer drivers, etc.  All the standard laserjet fonts will take
up 5-6Mb when decompressed---if you haven't got this much space then
download metafont: all of disc4 + mfware2 from disc5.  This will 
generate the fonts you actually use, but is quite a lot of hassle.
By the way I think the dvi drivers ore on disc3, if so you need this
as well.

Incidentally, TeX won't work very well if you don't get the shift key
mended on your keyboard.

Jake

------------------------------

Date:    16 Aug 1994 10:05:38 +0000
From:    [email-masked] (Robin Fairbairns)
Subject: Re: emtex

In article <[email-masked]>,
Declan Kruppa <[email-masked]> wrote:
>i would like to download emtex from ftp.tex.ac.uk so that i could
>use latex on a pc and drive a hp laserjet printer
>
>could anyone tell me what i need to download, since it is so time
>consuming and i have limited disk space i don't want to download lots of
>superflous stuff, on logging into ftp.tex.ac.tex this information is 
>not given. am i right in saying that i need to download all the .lj files
>which i assume are laserjet fonts. 

I can't find _any_ .lj files; which were you talking of?

Anyway, having said that, the whole kit is packaged up neatly to take
account of the requirement to load it onto floppies.  You need the
floppy-fulls from systems/msdos/emtex/disk* and those from
systems/msdos/emtex-fonts/lj_fonts/disk*

I would also recommend taking the betatest stuff, particularly if
you've got a 386 or better with more than 640K memory.  If you want to
run current LaTeX, you need a bigTeX, and tex386 is big regardless.

There's lots of documentation (but remember that it appears both in
English and German -- if there's a .ger file that looks interesting,
chase up the corresponding .eng file; there are separate English and
German directories somewhere on the tree, too).

Installation is easy if you've disc space to play with (I have).  In
your situation, it'll be more time consuming, since you'll need to
establish which stuff you need and which you don't (I've 80 or more
executables in my emTeX directory of which I use about 10).

emTeX could do with a configuration mechanism, but the chances seem
small.  If you had a CD-ROM drive, I'm told that the 4all-TeX CD does
the necessary.

One final point -- if you chose to join the UK TeX users' group (see
details at the end of the digest), you will be able to get a current
version on floppy for a moderate price, thus saving all the tedium of
acquiring the stuff by ftp (it _is_ tedious -- I pulled my copy by ftp
when the archive was still in Aston).
- --
Robin (Campaign for the Third Programme) Fairbairns  [email-masked]
U of Cambridge Computer Lab, Pembroke St, Cambridge  CB2 3QG, UK
Private page: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/rf/robin.html

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 16 Aug 1994 11:22:33 +0100
From:    Robin Fairbairns <[email-masked]>
Subject: The status of the `uk.tex' newsgroup

Long ago, when I set up a news server, uk.tex was a pseudo-group at every
site I knew of.  I couldn't get a feed of it, and I implemented it as a
moderated group with moderator address [email-masked], into which I fed
the incoming mail of the digest.

Somehow, since then, the status has changed, apparently everywhere --
there are irregular postings to the group, apparently treating it as a
low-volume version of comp.text.tex

I feel that (in the presence of c.t.t) we really shouldn't continue with
the status quo.  Either we do away with the mailing-list version and junk
the group altogether (relying on comp.text.tex as the source of all
wisdom), or -- as I would prefer -- we change the status of uk.tex to
moderated by a puckah newgroup message.

My preferred course makes it possible for people who don't receive news in
their site to continue to receive UKTeX (and in particular, to have a
route through which they can make enquiries and receive answers thereto).

If I don't hear an overwhelming flood of moans, I propose to initiate
discussion of the change by a thread in uk.net; mail me if you want to
moan, and I'll prepare a summary which I'll post here.

Robin

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 17 Aug 1994 13:58:25 -0000
From:    Steve Gaito <[email-masked]>
Subject: Where is vpage?

Hello

On page 89 of the LaTeX Companion it describes a package called vpage
by Volker Kuhlmann.  I have tried to find this package in both the
latex2e and the latex209 subdirectories (& subsubdirectories) of the 
CTAN archives (ftp.tex.ac.uk & ftp.uni-stuttgart.de) but I can not find
it.... where can it be found?

- -- 
Stephen Gaito,  Nonlinear Systems Laboratory, Mathematics Institute,
                Univ.  of Warwick, Coventry, CV4 7AL ---
                Phone: +44 (203) 524695 (from Aug 94: +44 (1203) 524695)
                H Phone: +44 (203) 410480 (from Aug 94: +44 (1203) 410480)
                Email: [email-masked]

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 17 Aug 1994 14:31:14 +0100
From:    David Osborne <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Where is vpage? 

Steve Gaito writes [17 Aug 1994 13:58:25 BST]:

 > On page 89 of the LaTeX Companion it describes a package called vpage
 > by Volker Kuhlmann.  I have tried to find this package in both the
 > latex2e and the latex209 subdirectories (& subsubdirectories) of the 
 > CTAN archives (ftp.tex.ac.uk & ftp.uni-stuttgart.de) but I can not find
 > it.... where can it be found?

Well, using xarchie, I found a copy on sol.cs.ruu.nl in
pub/TEX/latexstyle/vpage.sty which is the one you're looking for --
the version info says it's "Style `Vpage', V2.2, 18 June 1993".  I
don't know why it's not on CTAN, though... using "quote site index
vpage" in ftp only found dviware/dvi2pcl/doodevpages.c.

~~David Osborne
  Cripps Computing Centre, University of Nottingham

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 17 Aug 1994 14:20:15 -0000
From:    Steve Gaito <[email-masked]>
Subject: A puzzle: multline environments in amstex (from LaTeX2e)

Hello

Here is an interesting puzzle:

A PUZZLE:----------------------------------------------------------------

Suppose that I am perverse enough to want to define the following:

\newcommand{\BMLine}{\begin{multline}}
\newcommand{\EMLine}{\end{multline}}

I then use it as for example

\BMLine
x = 3 \\
  = 2 + 1 \\
  = 1 + 1 + 1
\EMLine

Does this work?

NOTE: I am using the most recent LaTeX2e distribution (from ftp.tex.ac.uk)
and the amstex contained in latex2e/packages/amslatex.  I am also 
bending the rules by using the full LaTeX2e syntax (\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{amstex})... however (if I am correct) this does not effect the
answer... 

ANSWER:-------------------------------------------------------------------

No.

Deep inside the file amstex.sty one finds that \multline calls the macro
\collect@body which collects the body of the environment.  The macro
\collect@body in turn calls the macro \collect@@body which actually
does the collection.  The macro \collect@@body is defined as follows:

\def\collect@@body#1\end#2{...

This means that TeX MUST FIND the \end to be satisfied.  Unfortunately
my perverse redirection makes \collect@@body find \EMLine and not \end.
The result is that TeX reads to the end of the paragraph and gives up!

Note that the following code does work (without \usepackage{amstex}!)

\newcommand{\BEqnAr}{\begin{eqnarray}}
\newcommand{\EEqnAr}{\end{eqnarray}}

\BEqnAr
x &=& 3 \\
  &=& 2 + 1 \\
  &=& 1 + 1 + 1
\EEqnAr

Since the LaTeX2e eqnarray environment collects its body differently!

A QUESTION:---------------------------------------------------------------

SHOULD ams-latex collect its environment bodies in this way?

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 19 Aug 1994 12:23:31 -0000
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: EuroTeX '94: only two weeks left for registration!

=======================================================
EuroTeX '94 * EuroTeX '94 * EuroTeX '94 * EuroTeX '94  
=======================================================

If you would like to participate in the most exciting
TeX users' meeting of 1994---Eurotex '94 in Gda\'nsk---
then please don't forget that there are only two weeks
left in which to enroll.

The conference programme includes:

 -- Michel Goossens,
    Simple colour design, and colour in LaTeX-2e

 -- Bogus\l{}aw Jackowski and Marek Ry\'cko,
    Labyrinth of METAFONT paths in outline

 -- Kees van der Laan,
    BLUe's format: back to basics

 -- Klaus Lagally,
    Bi-directional line breaking with TeX macros

 -- Bernd Raichle,
    Sorting in TeX's mouth

 -- Laurent Siebenmann,
    Atomic fonts and elctronic archiving of TeX documents

- - --  Laurent Siebenmann,
    Occam's razor and macro management

 -- Petr Sojka and Pavel \v Seve\v cek,
    Hyphenation in TeX: Quo vadis?

 -- Philip Taylor,
    Defensive programing in TeX: Towards a better class of macro

 -- Andrey V. Astrelin,
    Graphics in TeX

 -- Vladimir Batagelj,
    Combining TeX and PostScript

 -- Janusz Bie\'n,
    Polish texts in multilingual environments

 -- Lutz Birkhahn,
    Tdb: An X11 TeX Debugger

 -- Michel Goossens,
    Real life book production: lessons learned from "The LaTeX Companion"

 -- Karel Horak,
    Printing big MetaFont pictures in an MS-DOS environment

 -- Olga Lapko,
    MAKEFONT as part of CyrTug/emTeX package.

 -- Marion Neubauer,
    WORD/WordPerfect to LaTeX conversion

 -- Eric Picheral,
    Building and maintaining the Gutenberg archive

 -- Serguei A. Strelkov,
    Development and standardisation of the Russian TeX
    version CyrTUG/emTeX

 -- Johannes Braams,                               
    Document classes and packages for LaTeX-2e     

 -- Erik Frambach and Wietse Dol,
    4TeX: A workbench for MS-DOS PCs

 -- Dag Langmuhr,
    Creating document styles for LaTeX-2e

 -- J\"org Knappen:                                
    Towards a 256-character IPA font

 -- Piotr Pianowski,
    From PostScript to MetaFont and back

 -- Friedhelm Sowa,
    Printing colour pictures

 -- Andrey F. Slepukhin,
    A package for Church Slavonic typesetting

 -- Philip Taylor,
    e-TeX & NTS: a progress report

 -- Ji\v r\'\i{} Zlatu\v ska,
    Surviving in a multilingual world with multiple font encodings

    For further details please contact: [email-masked], or get
    via ftp from halina.univ.gda.pl:/gust/eurotex   Programme and
    tutorial information will be found in prog.txt, booking form in bform.txt 
    and finally some advice on how to get to Gda\'nsk in howtoget.txt    

Conference organizers

W{\l}odek Bzyl,
Tomasz Przechlewski

------------------------------
                                        
                            UK TeX Archive
                         >>>  tex.ac.uk  <<<
         Part of the Comprehensive TeX Archive Network (CTAN)

                          tex.ac.uk -- mail
                           [[email-masked]]

                    ftp.tex.ac.uk -- anonymous ftp
        [username: anonymous, password: <your-e-mail-address>]

                  gopher.tex.ac.uk -- Gopher access

                www.tex.ac.uk -- World-Wide Web access
                [URL http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive]

                     nfs.tex.ac.uk -- NFS access
               [nfs.tex.ac.uk:/public/ctan/tex-archive]

\section Files of Interest

    tex-archive/00Contents
    tex-archive/CTAN.sites
    tex-archive/FILES.bydate
    tex-archive/FILES.byname
    tex-archive/FILES.bysize
    tex-archive/MAP
    tex-archive/README.archive-features
    tex-archive/README.site-commands
    tex-archive/README.uploads

\section Digests

    This year's UKTeX back issues are stored in the archive in directory
      tex-archive/digests/uktex/94
    This year's TeXhax back issues are stored in the archive in directory
      tex-archive/digests/texhax/94
      Latest TeXhax: V94 #07

\section Media Distributions
    Postal addresses are given below.

\subsection Washington Unix TeX distribution tape
    Our latest copy of May/June 1991 contains:
    TeX 3.14, LaTeX 2.09, Metafont 2.7, plus many utilities
    suitable for Unix 4.2/4.3BSD & System V
    tar format, 1 file (36Mb)

    Send One Quarter-Inch Cartridge, QIC-120 or QIC-150 format
    (DC600A or DC6150) with envelope AND stamps for return
    postage to David Osborne (address below); regret that due to currency
    exchange difficulties, this service is offered only within the UK.

\section TeX Implementations for Small Computers

\subsection PC and Mac disks

    From January 1994 the UK TeX Users' Group is distributing an
    emTeX kit for PCs, and an OzTeX kit for Macintosh. The cost
    covers copying and postage costs, and the shareware fee for
    OzTeX.  Each set costs \pounds30, and is available from
    Peter Abbott, 1 Eymore Close, Selly Oak, Birmingham B29 4LB.
    Cheques must be payable to `UKTUG'. Please note that this
    service **is available to UKTUG members only.**

    Each set comes with an installation guide, and (at least)
    full TeX and Metafont, a previewer, a PostScript driver, and
    CM fonts. Two update disks a year will be sent out
    automatically, with the current version of LaTeXe, and other
    goodies. A subscription service will be available for
    subsequent years. In addition, subscribers can request up to
    3 disks a year with any material from the CTAN archives, but
    this will be supplied `as is', without instructions.

    OzTeX and emTeX are also available on disk from TeX Users Group;
    mail TUG for details.

\subsection TeX for the Atari ST

    Enquiries for TeX for the Atari ST etc. can be directed to:
    The Fast Club, 7 Musters Road, Nottingham NG2 7PP. Phone
    0602 455250, fax 0602 455305. They also supply a variety of
    TeX-related software in Atari format.

    Enquiries for disks etc. can also be directed to:
    The South West Software Library, P.O. Box 562, Wimborne, Dorset BH21 2YD
    Internet: [email-masked]

\section Postage Rates

    Quarter-inch cartridges: UK: GBP 1.00,  Europe: GBP 2.00.

\section Postal Addresses

    Please include SELF-ADDRESSED ADHESIVE LABELS for return postage.

    Peter Abbott
    Information Systems, Aston University, Aston Triangle, Birmingham B4 7ET
    Internet: [email-masked]

    David Osborne
    Cripps Computing Centre, University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 2RD
    (for Unix cartridges ONLY -- MUST include stamps for return postage)
    Internet: [email-masked]

    TeX Users Group
    P.O. Box 869, Santa Barbara, CA 93102, USA.
    Internet: [email-masked]
    
\section UK TeX Users Group

    Details available from
    Jonathan Fine, 203 Coldhams Lane, Cambridge CB1 3HY, UK
    or from
    Internet: [email-masked]
    or from
    World-Wide Web server: http://www.tex.ac.uk/UKTUG/home.html

\bye

End of UKTeX Digest [Volume 94 Issue 31]
****************************************