Subject: UKTeX Digest V94 #35
From: [email-masked]
To: UKTeX Distribution: ;
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 1994 13:40:15 +0100

UKTeX Digest    Thursday, 15 Sep 1994    Volume 94 : Issue 35

Today's Topics:
                     Garbage at start of printout
                   Re: Garbage at start of printout
                   Re: Garbage at start of printout
                   Re: Garbage at start of printout
                        "A.W. Bingham": emTeX
                                emTeX
                                BibTeX
                              Re: BibTeX
                         \Bbb font and LaTeX3
                       Re: \Bbb font and LaTeX3
                AGM and committee elections: reminder

Administrivia:
    Moderators:     Peter Abbott (UK TeX Users Group) and
                    David Osborne (University of Nottingham)
    Contributions:  [email-masked]
    Subscription and unsubscription requests: [email-masked]
    (message body = "subscribe uktex" or "unsubscribe uktex", [no quotes])

                      E D I T O R ' S   N O T E

		This week's issue appears a day early,
	  due to much-needed editorial holidays (vacation).
               There will be no UKTeX Digest next week.

                                                        --Ed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    10 Sep 1994 20:08:39 +0100
From:    [email-masked] (Mark Turner)
Subject: Garbage at start of printout

I've recently started dabbling with TeX and would like to print out my
efforts. The problem is that I get garbage instead of the first character
of my text.

For example, using the following input file (test.tex)....

- ---- test.tex ----
%% Some comments.

Here is my first \TeX\ sentence.

\bye
- ---- end ----

....which tex turns into test.dvi, which dvips turns into test.ps, which
I throw at gs using the following command line....

gs -q -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=bj10e -sOutputFile=test.bj test.ps

....then piping test.ps through lpr, the printed output looks like....

- ---- output ----
````````ere is my first TeX sentence.
- ---- end ----

BTW, the TeX does turn out "up and down-ish" as expected.

The setup here is Linux and a Canon BJ-10sx.

Any clues would be appreciated.

Mark.

Mark Turner                                                  [email-masked]
[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked].
Also [email-masked] but speaking for me rather than PIPEX in this message

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 12 Sep 1994 20:11:27 -0000
From:    [email-masked] ("Paul L. Allen")
Subject: Re: Garbage at start of printout

In article <[email-masked]>
    [email-masked] (Mark Turner) writes:

> I've recently started dabbling with TeX and would like to print out my
> efforts. The problem is that I get garbage instead of the first character
[test file]

> ....which tex turns into test.dvi, which dvips turns into test.ps, which
> I throw at gs using the following command line....

Gak!  I have to use GhostScript on my machine when somebody sends me a PS
file and the result (after a   l  o  n  g  wait) is crap...

> gs -q -dNOPAUSE -sDEVICE=bj10e -sOutputFile=test.bj test.ps
> 
> ....then piping test.ps through lpr, the printed output looks like....
> 
> ---- output ----
> ````````ere is my first TeX sentence.
> ---- end ----
>
> BTW, the TeX does turn out "up and down-ish" as expected.

Looks like GS is even crappier than I thought.  The \TeX\ in your input
file should indeed be printed `up and down-ish'.

> The setup here is Linux and a Canon BJ-10sx.

I'd try looking for a dvi-driver for the BJ-10sx.  Unfortunately the
only one I know of is dvidot in the emTeX DOS distribution.  Some day
Nelson Beebe may release version 3 of his drivers, until then you're stuck
with dvidot.

- --Paul

------------------------------

Date:    13 Sep 1994 09:08:22 +0100
From:    [email-masked] (Mark Turner)
Subject: Re: Garbage at start of printout

In article <[email-masked]>,
>
>I'd try looking for a dvi-driver for the BJ-10sx.  Unfortunately the
>only one I know of is dvidot in the emTeX DOS distribution.  Some day
>Nelson Beebe may release version 3 of his drivers, until then you're stuck
>with dvidot.

DOS isn't an option I'm afraid, I don't run it on any of my machines.
I'll carry on looking for a driver, and maybe investigate writing a
filter to turn the first line back into something useful.

Hmmm..... wonder what would happen if I put the beast into Epson mode and
tried to generate Epson compatible output from gs. I'll try that too.

Mark.

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 14 Sep 1994 23:11:56 -0000
From:    [email-masked] ("Paul L. Allen")
Subject: Re: Garbage at start of printout

In article <[email-masked]>
    [email-masked] (Mark Turner) writes:

> In article <[email-masked]>,

> >I'd try looking for a dvi-driver for the BJ-10sx.  Unfortunately the
> >only one I know of is dvidot in the emTeX DOS distribution.

> DOS isn't an option I'm afraid, I don't run it on any of my machines.

Windows?  emTeX runs under that too.

> I'll carry on looking for a driver, and maybe investigate writing a
> filter to turn the first line back into something useful.

I doubt it's just the first line though, I suspect you'll get random errors
all over the place...

> Hmmm..... wonder what would happen if I put the beast into Epson mode and
> tried to generate Epson compatible output from gs. I'll try that too.

It might work.  It might not.  You could treat yourself to a LaserJet -
plenty of drivers for them...

- --Paul

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 12 Sep 1994 09:46:54 +0100
From:    Robin Fairbairns <[email-masked]>
Subject: "A.W. Bingham": emTeX

This message was sent to me as the coordinator for UKTUG electronic
enquiries.  Since I'm not at home (and hence don't have access to my
emTeX machine and its documentation), I wonder if anyone on the UKTeX
queries list can deal with it more immediately?

As a general rule, I can't guarantee to answer questions about TeX
posted to uktug-enquiries -- it's best to use the UKTeX route, folks!

R
- ------- Forwarded Message

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 1994 09:32:05 +0100 (BST)
From: "A.W. Bingham" <[email-masked]>
Subject: emTeX
To: [email-masked]

Can anyone help?

I've installed emTex onto my Pentium PC and have a couple of problems 
which I cannot solve.

1. I have installed the lj and ito font libraries. When I run:
        dviscr @ito.cnf
   I CAN view a dvi file. 

   However, when I use the lj fonts and run:
        dviscr @lj.cnf /ocr=1 /fl=-1            (i.e v.bat)
   I CAN NOT view a dvi file. Instead the computer hangs and appears to 
   violate memory, forcing me to reboot. I've tried changing the arguments
   to no avail.

2. We have a Apple LaseWriter which can be configured to emulate a HP 
   LaserJet+. The printer is attached to the serial COM2 port. When I 
   try to print a dvi file using:
        dvihplj @ito.cnf /po=com2 /ox+
   only the first page prints, after that I get nonense. The computer will 
   also again hang when I select the other fonts:
        dvihplj @lj.cnf /po=com2 /xo+

Does anyone have any suggesting on how to fix these problems?

Regards,
Andy Bingham
Scott Polar Research Institute

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 14 Sep 1994 06:51:50 +0000
From:    [email-masked] (Virgil Stokes neuro)
Subject: BibTeX

Does anyone have information on the actual running of BibTeX (vers. 
0.99c) under DOS. I recently installed BibTeX; but find it rather awkward 
to work with. First, I have not been able to find any documentation on 
things like error messages, limitation (memory requirements), etc. 
Second, when I try to use a style file ieee.bst (avaiable at CTAN) it 
gives the following:

  This is BibTeX, Version 0.99c (MS-DOS port by D. Vulis/J.Demel)
  The top-level auxiliary file: c:\Y&YTEX\Latex\bibtest1. .aux
  The style file: ieee.bst
  Sorry---you've exceeded BibTeX's buffer size 1000
  (That was a fatal error)

What can be done (if anything) to solve this problem?

- --Thanks (VPS)

*  [email-masked]              |                               *
*  BMC, Neuroscience                      |      Things of quality        *
*  Karolinska Institute                   |     have no fear of time.     *

------------------------------

Date:    14 Sep 1994 13:03:54 +0000
From:    [email-masked] (Robin Fairbairns)
Subject: Re: BibTeX

In article <[email-masked]>, Virgil Stokes neuro <[email-masked]> wrote:
>Does anyone have information on the actual running of BibTeX (vers. 
>0.99c) under DOS. I recently installed BibTeX; but find it rather awkward 
>to work with. First, I have not been able to find any documentation on 
>things like error messages, limitation (memory requirements), etc. 
>Second, when I try to use a style file ieee.bst (avaiable at CTAN) it 
>gives the following:
>
>  This is BibTeX, Version 0.99c (MS-DOS port by D. Vulis/J.Demel)
>  The top-level auxiliary file: c:\Y&YTEX\Latex\bibtest1. .aux
>  The style file: ieee.bst
>  Sorry---you've exceeded BibTeX's buffer size 1000
>  (That was a fatal error)
>
>What can be done (if anything) to solve this problem?

I recommend at least trying the rather new emTeX betatest BibTeX,
which is available on ftp.tex.ac.uk:/tex-archive/systems/msdos/emtex/
betatest/bibtexb1.zip

I haven't tried it myself, but the documentation does say (inter alia)

  - The maximum length if input lines (.aux file) has been increased
    from 1000 to 2000 characters
  
  - The maximum number of wizard-defined functions has been increased
    from 3000 to 5000

If you still have problems, look to see if your copy of ieee.bst has
proper line terminations in it.  If BibTeX isn't seeing the end of
line, it may try and load the whole file into a buffer intended for
just one line.

Robin (Campaign for the Third Programme) Fairbairns  [email-masked]
U of Cambridge Computer Lab, Pembroke St, Cambridge  CB2 3QG, UK
Private page: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/rf/robin.html

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 15 Sep 1994 10:48:00 -0700
From:    Karsten Strobek <[email-masked]>
Subject: \Bbb font and LaTeX3

Hi,
Do you still need AmSTeX to produce the \Bbb font, if you use LaTeX3 or can 
you do without?
I am thinking about something like
$f\in{\Bbb R}^n$
or someting like that.

Cheers,

Karsten Strobek

Institute of Economics                                  Phone: +45 35 32 30 25
University of Copenhagen                                  Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Studiestraede 6                                      Internet: [email-masked]
DK-1455 Copenhagen K
Denmark

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 15 Sep 1994 09:49:10 +0100
From:    Sebastian Rahtz <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: \Bbb font and LaTeX3

well, you'll need the AMS fonts installed at least. and latex2e by
default doesnt defined \Bbb. you'll need to install the  amslatex
stuff, and use the `amsfonts' package
 
sebastian

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 13 Sep 1994 17:38:04 +0200
From:    [email-masked] (Rosemary Bailey)
Subject: AGM and committee elections: reminder

             Final Announcement of Annual General Meeting

The Annual General Meeting of the UKTUG  will be held at 1030 on
 Wednesday 19~October 1994 at the University of Warwick, 
in the Staff Club `Quiet Room' in Rootes Building.

A draft agenda for the  meeting is in Baskerville 4.4.

Lunch will be available after the AGM, and will be followed by an ordinary 
meeting on {\it What's up doc?} Further details of the afternoon meeting, 
including a booking form, are in Baskerville 4.4.

There is no charge for the AGM itself, but members who wish to stay for the 
afternoon meeting will have to pay. Non-members are not permitted to 
participate in the AGM but are welcome to attend the afternoon meeting.

All members of the UK TeX Users' Group are urged to attend the AGM. 
Agenda item~11 specifically seeks your opinion on future meetings: 
where? when? how often? what topics? talks or training? 
regular or flexible schedule? The Committee 
needs your input in order to plan the meetings that the membership wants.

The  Constitution contains the following clauses:

17.  The annual general meeting of the UKTUG shall be held in the 
United Kingdom not later than the last day of November in each year 
on a date and at a time to be fixed by the Committee and notified 
to members at least 35 days in advance for the following purposes---

(1) to receive from the Committee a report balance sheet and statement of
accounts for the preceding financial year

(2) to fill the vacancies in the Committee and to appoint auditors for the
ensuing year

(3) to decide on any motion which may be proposed to the meeting in the
manner provided below

(4) to fix the entrance fee (if any) and annual subscription

18.  Any member desirous of proposing any motion at the
annual general meeting shall give notice in writing to the secretary not
later than 14 days before the date of such meeting

23.  No amendment (other than a motion for adjournment) shall be moved to any 
motion proposed at any annual or special general meeting unless written notice 
of the amendment shall have been sent to the secretary prior to the meeting

I think that Clauses 17(3), 18 and 23 are self-explanatory.

Having seen the draft agenda in Baskerville, anyone wishing to propose
any other motion to the AGM must send me, in writing, the text of the 
proposed motion and their own name and address, to reach me by
5~October 1994.  If there are any changes to the draft agenda, 
the final agenda will be sent to members in the 14 days before 
the AGM. Anyone wishing, at that stage, to move 
any amendment to any motion, must send me, in writing, the text of 
the proposed amendment and their own name and address, to reach me
by 18 October 1994. 

As for vacancies on the Committee, C. A. Rowley will continue as Chair in 
1994--94 and P. Abbott as Treasurer and Membership Secretary. 
M. Clark, J. Fine and A. S. A. Jeffrey are eligible and willing to continue 
their Committee membership. C. Hewlett and R. Fairbairns must retire but are 
eligible and willing to stand for re-election.
Thus there are up to 7 vacancies to be filled, and at least 
5 nominations are needed from outside the present Committee.

The following parts of Clause 10  describe the procedure for
filling these vacancies:

(3) Any two members who are individuals may nominate  any member or 
members of the group who are individuals to fill any of the vacancies 
by giving at least 7~days notice in writing to the secretary

(4) If there are more nominations than vacancies then the membership
will be decided by an election by single transferable vote in which
every member of the UKTUG who is an individual and is present at the 
annual general meeting shall be entitled but not obliged to vote

Nominations for committee members in accordance with the above
sub-clauses are thus being sought.  Written nominations for new committee
members should be sent to me, to reach me by 12~October 1994. 
There is no official nomination form.   If you like, you may use the 
forms provided in Baskerville 4.3 and Baskerville 4.4.  Otherwise,
what you send me should contain, clearly and legibly,

             ---name and address of nominee
             ---declaration that (s)he is willing to stand for this
                office, signed by the nominee
             ---name and address of the nominator
             ---statement nominating the nominee, signed by the
                nominator
             ---name and address of seconder
             ---statement in support of the nomination, signed by
                the seconder.

The nominee, nominator and seconder should all be members of the UKTUG, 
and the last two should be different from each other.

Once elected, the Committee appoints officers from its membership. 
Your present secretary is retiring (forced to under Clause 10(1)) and 
there is at present no Publicity person.  Anyone with talents for either 
of these jobs is strongly encouraged to stand for election to the Committee.

In all the above, `in writing' means `on paper', not email.

Please put `UKTUG' on the outside of the envelope when you send me any 
of the above.   Otherwise, people may find themselves elected to the 
wrong committee.

My address is

School of Mathematical Sciences
Queen Mary and Westfield College
Mile End Road
London E1 4NS

R. A. Bailey, Honorary Secretary, UK TeX Users' Group

------------------------------
                                        
                            UK TeX Archive
                         >>>  tex.ac.uk  <<<
         Part of the Comprehensive TeX Archive Network (CTAN)

                          tex.ac.uk -- mail
                           [[email-masked]]

                    ftp.tex.ac.uk -- anonymous ftp
        [username: anonymous, password: <your-e-mail-address>]

                  gopher.tex.ac.uk -- Gopher access

                www.tex.ac.uk -- World-Wide Web access
                [URL http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive]

                     nfs.tex.ac.uk -- NFS access
               [nfs.tex.ac.uk:/public/ctan/tex-archive]

\section Files of Interest

    tex-archive/00Contents
    tex-archive/CTAN.sites
    tex-archive/FILES.bydate
    tex-archive/FILES.byname
    tex-archive/FILES.bysize
    tex-archive/MAP
    tex-archive/README.archive-features
    tex-archive/README.site-commands
    tex-archive/README.uploads

\section Digests

    This year's UKTeX back issues are stored in the archive in directory
      tex-archive/digests/uktex/94
    This year's TeXhax back issues are stored in the archive in directory
      tex-archive/digests/texhax/94
      Latest TeXhax: V94 #08

\section Media Distributions
    Postal addresses are given below.

\subsection Washington Unix TeX distribution tape
    Our latest copy of May/June 1991 contains:
    TeX 3.14, LaTeX 2.09, Metafont 2.7, plus many utilities
    suitable for Unix 4.2/4.3BSD & System V
    tar format, 1 file (36Mb)

    Send One Quarter-Inch Cartridge, QIC-120 or QIC-150 format
    (DC600A or DC6150) with envelope AND stamps for return
    postage to David Osborne (address below); regret that due to currency
    exchange difficulties, this service is offered only within the UK.

\section TeX Implementations for Small Computers

\subsection PC and Mac disks

    From January 1994 the UK TeX Users' Group is distributing an
    emTeX kit for PCs, and an OzTeX kit for Macintosh. The cost
    covers copying and postage costs, and the shareware fee for
    OzTeX.  Each set costs \pounds30, and is available from
    Peter Abbott, 1 Eymore Close, Selly Oak, Birmingham B29 4LB.
    Cheques must be payable to `UKTUG'. Please note that this
    service **is available to UKTUG members only.**

    Each set comes with an installation guide, and (at least)
    full TeX and Metafont, a previewer, a PostScript driver, and
    CM fonts. Two update disks a year will be sent out
    automatically, with the current version of LaTeXe, and other
    goodies. A subscription service will be available for
    subsequent years. In addition, subscribers can request up to
    3 disks a year with any material from the CTAN archives, but
    this will be supplied `as is', without instructions.

    OzTeX and emTeX are also available on disk from TeX Users Group;
    mail TUG for details.

\subsection TeX for the Atari ST

    Enquiries for TeX for the Atari ST etc. can be directed to:
    The Fast Club, 7 Musters Road, Nottingham NG2 7PP. Phone
    0602 455250, fax 0602 455305. They also supply a variety of
    TeX-related software in Atari format.

    Enquiries for disks etc. can also be directed to:
    The South West Software Library, P.O. Box 562, Wimborne, Dorset BH21 2YD
    Internet: [email-masked]

\section Postage Rates

    Quarter-inch cartridges: UK: GBP 1.00,  Europe: GBP 2.00.

\section Postal Addresses

    Please include SELF-ADDRESSED ADHESIVE LABELS for return postage.

    Peter Abbott
    1 Eymore Close, Selly Oak, Birmingham B29 4LB
    Internet: [email-masked]

    David Osborne
    Cripps Computing Centre, University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 2RD
    (for Unix cartridges ONLY -- MUST include stamps for return postage)
    Internet: [email-masked]

    TeX Users Group
    P.O. Box 869, Santa Barbara, CA 93102, USA.
    Internet: [email-masked]
    
\section UK TeX Users Group

    Details available from
    Jonathan Fine, 203 Coldhams Lane, Cambridge CB1 3HY, UK
    or from
    Internet: [email-masked]
    or from
    World-Wide Web server: http://www.tex.ac.uk/UKTUG/home.html

\bye

End of UKTeX Digest [Volume 94 Issue 35]
****************************************