Subject: UKTeX Digest V94 #47
From: [email-masked]
To: UKTeX Distribution: ;
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 1994 16:23:12 +0000

UKTeX Digest    Friday, 16 Dec 1994    Volume 94 : Issue 47

Today's Topics:
         TeX, how to detect already defined control sequences
                     TeXhax/UKTeX merger opinions
  Limited number of copies of the EuroTeX '94 Proceedings available

Administrivia:
    Moderators:     Peter Abbott (UK TeX Users Group) and
                    David Osborne (University of Nottingham)
    Contributions:  [email-masked]
    Subscription and unsubscription requests: [email-masked]
    (message body = "subscribe uktex" or "unsubscribe uktex", [no quotes])

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 15 Dec 1994 11:59:22 +0700
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: TeX, how to detect already defined control sequences

Hello,

I would like to know if there is a way, in TeX, to test for
the existence of a control sequence.

What I want to do is to programmatically detect if a macro
has already been defined.

I devised this (ugly) piece of code:

        \def\MYMACRO{anything}
        \ifx\MYMACRO\UNDEFINED
             The macro is {\it not\/} defined
        \else
             The macro {\it is\/} defined
        \fi

It works, provided that the dummy macro \UNDEFINED is
*really* undefined!

There must be a more reliable (and elegant!) way to do the
same thing. Can you give me any hint?
Thanks in advance.

Paolo Vicario
UNIX system manager
Universita` degli Studi di Udine - Centro di Calcolo
via Mantica 3
I 33100 UDINE

Tel.  +39 432 556704         Internet:  [email-masked]
FAX   +39 432 556729         DECnet:    UDUNIV::PAOLO (37963::PAOLO)
Tlx. 450412 UNIVUD I

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 16 Dec 1994 12:18:27 +0000
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: TeXhax/UKTeX merger opinions

Following my note about merging the TeXhax and UKTeX Digests
(TeXhax V94 #10, UKTeX V94 #42), I received 12 responses, all
in favour of the merger.  There were two reservations expressed:

- - frequency of the new TeXhax... weekly was felt by a couple of
  people to be too often
- - one person requested that the digest be given a new name

One of the advantages of increased frequency is that questions
can be answered and announcements made in a more timely fashion.
This has always been one of the "advantages" of the UKTeX Digest
which I'd like to carry over into the new, merged digest.
However, after we've had a few issues, if lots of people feel
strongly that a weekly digest is hitting their mailbox too often,
please let me know and we could move to, perhaps, two-weekly issues.

As for names, well, I felt it would be less confusing to keep the
name of the "elder" publication, which is mentioned in many online
locations and Internet list-of-lists (e.g., Meckler's "On Internet 94").

If you have any views on any of this, please let me know.

~~David Osborne (TeXhax Digest moderator)

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 16 Dec 1994 12:20:39 -0000
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Limited number of copies of the EuroTeX '94 Proceedings available

I have two copies of the 1994 EuroTeX proceedings for sale at DM15-00 plus
postage; if I receive more requests than I have copies, I will endeavour
to order further copies from Poland.

                                        Philip Taylor, RHBNC

------------------------------
                                        
                            UK TeX Archive
                         >>>  tex.ac.uk  <<<
         Part of the Comprehensive TeX Archive Network (CTAN)

                          tex.ac.uk -- mail
                           [[email-masked]]

                    ftp.tex.ac.uk -- anonymous ftp
        [username: anonymous, password: <your-e-mail-address>]

                  gopher.tex.ac.uk -- Gopher access

                www.tex.ac.uk -- World-Wide Web access
                [URL http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive]

                     nfs.tex.ac.uk -- NFS access
               [nfs.tex.ac.uk:/public/ctan/tex-archive]

\section Files of Interest

    tex-archive/00Contents
    tex-archive/CTAN.sites
    tex-archive/FILES.bydate
    tex-archive/FILES.byname
    tex-archive/FILES.bysize
    tex-archive/MAP
    tex-archive/README.archive-features
    tex-archive/README.site-commands
    tex-archive/README.uploads

\section Digests

    This year's UKTeX back issues are stored in the archive in directory
      tex-archive/digests/uktex/94
    This year's TeXhax back issues are stored in the archive in directory
      tex-archive/digests/texhax/94
      Latest TeXhax: V94 #11

\section TeX Implementations for Small Computers

\subsection PC and Mac disks

    From January 1994 the UK TeX Users' Group is distributing an
    emTeX kit for PCs, and an OzTeX kit for Macintosh. The cost
    covers copying and postage costs, and the shareware fee for
    OzTeX.  Each set costs \pounds30, and is available from
    Peter Abbott, 1 Eymore Close, Selly Oak, Birmingham B29 4LB.
    Cheques must be payable to `UKTUG'. Please note that this
    service **is available to UKTUG members only.**

    Each set comes with an installation guide, and (at least)
    full TeX and Metafont, a previewer, a PostScript driver, and
    CM fonts. Two update disks a year will be sent out
    automatically, with the current version of LaTeXe, and other
    goodies. A subscription service will be available for
    subsequent years. In addition, subscribers can request up to
    3 disks a year with any material from the CTAN archives, but
    this will be supplied `as is', without instructions.

    OzTeX and emTeX are also available on disk from TeX Users Group;
    mail TUG for details.

\subsection TeX for the Atari ST

    Enquiries for TeX for the Atari ST etc. can be directed to:
    The Fast Club, 7 Musters Road, Nottingham NG2 7PP. Phone
    0602 455250, fax 0602 455305. They also supply a variety of
    TeX-related software in Atari format.

    Enquiries for disks etc. can also be directed to:
    The South West Software Library, P.O. Box 562, Wimborne, Dorset BH21 2YD
    Internet: [email-masked]

\section Postal Addresses

    Please include SELF-ADDRESSED ADHESIVE LABELS for return postage.

    Peter Abbott
    1 Eymore Close, Selly Oak, Birmingham B29 4LB
    Internet: [email-masked]

    TeX Users Group
    P.O. Box 869, Santa Barbara, CA 93102, USA.
    Internet: [email-masked]
    
\section UK TeX Users Group

    Details available from
    Jonathan Fine, 203 Coldhams Lane, Cambridge CB1 3HY, UK
    or from
    Internet: [email-masked]
    or from
    World-Wide Web server: http://www.tex.ac.uk/UKTUG/home.html

\bye

End of UKTeX Digest [Volume 94 Issue 47]
****************************************