Subject: UKTeX Digest V94 #48
From: [email-masked]
To: UKTeX Distribution: ;
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 1994 14:19:48 +0000

UKTeX Digest    Friday, 23 Dec 1994    Volume 94 : Issue 48

Today's Topics:
                         Final issue of UKTeX
            texhax, uktex-digest, uk.tex and comp.text.tex
          Re: texhax, uktex-digest, uk.tex and comp.text.tex
                  CTAN management problems (uploads)
                         Winter LaTeX Release

Administrivia:
    Moderators:     Peter Abbott (UK TeX Users Group) and
                    David Osborne (University of Nottingham)
    Contributions:  [email-masked]
    Subscription and unsubscription requests: [email-masked]
    (message body = "subscribe uktex" or "unsubscribe uktex", [no quotes])

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 23 Dec 1994 14:06:28 +0000
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Final issue of UKTeX

As previously announced, this will be the final issue of the UKTeX Digest.

With the welcome emergence of the Comprehensive TeX Archive Network,
there's no longer any need for a UK-oriented digest, originally
created to announce developments of the UK TeX Archive which Peter
Abbott set up at Aston University.  The digest was Peter's idea,
modelled on the TeXhax Digest, and he acted as editor/moderator for
the first few years of its existence.  Looking back, I see I took over
the editing of the digest with the V90 #21 issue and that from the
beginning of 1987 to date, 336 digests were produced.

However, don't despair!  The intention is to merge UKTeX into TeXhax,
which will continue to act as a question, answer and announcement
forum for the global TeX community.  The electronic distribution lists
of the two digests will be merged and, for a while at least,
contributions addressed to UKTeX will still be accepted but will
appear in TeXhax, starting early in 1995.  Initially, it's intended to
produce TeXhax at weekly intervals, to maintain the timeliness of
UKTeX for announcements, but this frequency may be modified in the
light of experience, depending on the volume of contributions.

So, my sincere thanks go to all those who have encouraged and
supported UKTeX in the past, particularly to Peter Abbott.  I
encourage your support of the TeXhax Digest and welcome your
contributions to it in 1995 and beyond.

~~David Osborne (UKTeX Digest editor)

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Dec 1994 13:58:51 +0000
From:    Mike Piff <[email-masked]>
Subject: texhax, uktex-digest, uk.tex and comp.text.tex

Could you clarify the connection between the above?  You only mention 
the first two in your note to uktex-digest, but is there a need for 
these two now?   I also don't understand the connection between 
texhax-digest and comp.text.tex, and perhaps many others are in this 
situation.  Is the former meant to be the "best of" the latter?

Please treat this as a note to uktex, even though sent to you 
personally.   I am in favour of merging all into comp.text.tex, 
whatever that entails, but am prepared to accept that we might need a 
comp.text.latex, comp.text.tex, comp.text.metafont, ... as the volume 
on comp.text.tex is very high and it is difficult to read it all.  

Mike Piff

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Dec 1994 15:15:02 +0000
From:    [email-masked]
Subject: Re: texhax, uktex-digest, uk.tex and comp.text.tex 

> Could you clarify the connection between the above?

There's little connection between TeXhax and UKTeX, other than the person 
putting together the two digests.  uk.tex was created because some people 
at Cambridge wanted to read UKTeX but neither wanted to receive private 
copies via mail nor to read the copies I post to comp.text.tex.  There's no 
connection between any of these and comp.text.tex

> You only mention 
> the first two in your note to uktex-digest, but is there a need for 
> these two now?

Several people without access to news (yes, there are such people) find 
them useful.  As do some people who choose not to read comp.text.tex

> I also don't understand the connection between 
> texhax-digest and comp.text.tex, and perhaps many others are in this 
> situation.  Is the former meant to be the "best of" the latter?

There is no connection.  I post TeXhax and UKTeX to c.t.t only as 
additional distribution methods.  TeXhax began years before c.t.t was 
created and has never claimed to be an abstract of the newsgroup.

> Please treat this as a note to uktex, even though sent to you 
> personally.   I am in favour of merging all into comp.text.tex, 
> whatever that entails, but am prepared to accept that we might need a 
> comp.text.latex, comp.text.tex, comp.text.metafont, ... as the volume 
> on comp.text.tex is very high and it is difficult to read it all.  

I agree; I find it very difficult to find time to read all of c.t.t myself
(one good reason why TeXhax is not an abstract of the newsgroup)

~~David Osborne
  Cripps Computing Centre, University of Nottingham

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 19 Dec 1994 16:38:38 +0000
From:    Robin Fairbairns <[email-masked]>
Subject: CTAN management problems (uploads)

In the recent past, it has become apparent that the canonical address
for notifying uploads ([email-masked]) is not working.

For the time being, therefore, the CTAN management request that you
notify [email-masked] of any uploads.  If you have made an upload in
the recent past and it hasn't appeared on the archives, please re-send
notification of your upload to [email-masked]

I have changed the README.uploads file on ftp.tex.ac.uk to reflect
this change, and have agreed with Rainer Shoepf that he will do the
same for ftp.dante.de and ftp.shsu.edu.

We hope that the problem will not persist, and we will change the
READMEs back again and will announce again in these forums when
service is restored to its usual state.

R

Robin (Campaign for the Third Programme) Fairbairns  [email-masked]
U of Cambridge Computer Lab, Pembroke St, Cambridge  CB2 3QG, UK
Private page: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/users/rf/robin.html

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Dec 1994 18:44:48 +0000
From:    David Carlisle <[email-masked]>
Subject: Winter LaTeX Release

The second full release of LaTeX2e was placed on the ctan archives on
December 17th. This release fixes problems reported since June and
incorporates the new `inputenc' package as a standard method of
supporting 8bit input.

The document ltnews02.tex contains more details of the new features.
See also the www page:

   http://www.tex.ac.uk/CTAN/latex/

LaTeX is available from ctan hosts in the directory

  tex-archive/macros/latex/base

A ready `unpacked' version is available in

  tex-archive/macros/latex/unpacked

Note that this includes all the files in `base' so you do not need
both directories.

Unfortunately a couple of small bugs are present in that release.
These are fixed in the file
  tex-archive/macros/latex/base/ltpatch.ltx
that was placed on ftp.dante.de on 22nd December (and will arrive on
other ctan hosts overnight).

If you have already installed LaTeX2e <1994/12/01>, simply obtain the
patch file and re-run initex on latex.ltx; this will update the
format to LaTeX2e <1994/12/01> patch level 1. If you have not
previously installed the December release, just follow the usual
installation procedure outlined in install.txt, and the patch will be
automatically applied.

Two other files in the LaTeX distribution have been updated since
the initial December release.

tex-archive/macros/latex/packages/tools/xspace.dtx
  (% missing from two comment lines...)

tex-archive/macros/latex/packages/amslatex/amstex.dtx
  (Fix to AmsLaTeX's \dots )

Merry Christmas

David Carlisle

    LaTeX3 Project

------------------------------
                                        
                            UK TeX Archive
                         >>>  tex.ac.uk  <<<
         Part of the Comprehensive TeX Archive Network (CTAN)

                          tex.ac.uk -- mail
                           [[email-masked]]

                    ftp.tex.ac.uk -- anonymous ftp
        [username: anonymous, password: <your-e-mail-address>]

                  gopher.tex.ac.uk -- Gopher access

                www.tex.ac.uk -- World-Wide Web access
                [URL http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive]

                     nfs.tex.ac.uk -- NFS access
               [nfs.tex.ac.uk:/public/ctan/tex-archive]

\section Files of Interest

    tex-archive/00Contents
    tex-archive/CTAN.sites
    tex-archive/FILES.bydate
    tex-archive/FILES.byname
    tex-archive/FILES.bysize
    tex-archive/MAP
    tex-archive/README.archive-features
    tex-archive/README.site-commands
    tex-archive/README.uploads

\section Digests

    This year's UKTeX back issues are stored in the archive in directory
      tex-archive/digests/uktex/94
    This year's TeXhax back issues are stored in the archive in directory
      tex-archive/digests/texhax/94
      Latest TeXhax: V94 #11

\section TeX Implementations for Small Computers

\subsection PC and Mac disks

    From January 1994 the UK TeX Users' Group is distributing an
    emTeX kit for PCs, and an OzTeX kit for Macintosh. The cost
    covers copying and postage costs, and the shareware fee for
    OzTeX.  Each set costs \pounds30, and is available from
    Peter Abbott, 1 Eymore Close, Selly Oak, Birmingham B29 4LB.
    Cheques must be payable to `UKTUG'. Please note that this
    service **is available to UKTUG members only.**

    Each set comes with an installation guide, and (at least)
    full TeX and Metafont, a previewer, a PostScript driver, and
    CM fonts. Two update disks a year will be sent out
    automatically, with the current version of LaTeXe, and other
    goodies. A subscription service will be available for
    subsequent years. In addition, subscribers can request up to
    3 disks a year with any material from the CTAN archives, but
    this will be supplied `as is', without instructions.

    OzTeX and emTeX are also available on disk from TeX Users Group;
    mail TUG for details.

\subsection TeX for the Atari ST

    Enquiries for TeX for the Atari ST etc. can be directed to:
    The Fast Club, 7 Musters Road, Nottingham NG2 7PP. Phone
    0602 455250, fax 0602 455305. They also supply a variety of
    TeX-related software in Atari format.

    Enquiries for disks etc. can also be directed to:
    The South West Software Library, P.O. Box 562, Wimborne, Dorset BH21 2YD
    Internet: [email-masked]

\section Postal Addresses

    Please include SELF-ADDRESSED ADHESIVE LABELS for return postage.

    Peter Abbott
    1 Eymore Close, Selly Oak, Birmingham B29 4LB
    Internet: [email-masked]

    TeX Users Group
    P.O. Box 869, Santa Barbara, CA 93102, USA.
    Internet: [email-masked]
    
\section UK TeX Users Group

    Details available from
    Jonathan Fine, 203 Coldhams Lane, Cambridge CB1 3HY, UK
    or from
    Internet: [email-masked]
    or from
    World-Wide Web server: http://www.tex.ac.uk/UKTUG/home.html

\bye

End of UKTeX Digest [Volume 94 Issue 48]
****************************************